Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! Conventional or solar refrigerator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please help! Conventional or solar refrigerator

    Hello it´s my first time here and I´ve been very confused with the lot of information about solar systems.
    This is my situation: I´m planning to install a refrigerator (something around 11-13 cubic feet) in a ranch where the energy line don´t reach (the ranch is located near from Tucson, Arizona) so it´s very sunny almost all the year (6.5 sun hours average). I´ve seen 2 possible options:
    1) A DC solar refrigerator like Sundanzer, Sunfrost, Voltray which Its more expensive but seems that it doesn´t need too much panels (200-300W panels must be enough)
    2) A conventional refrigerator with the new technology (smart inverter compressor / digital inverter compressor) and for example Ive been watching a LG model GT28WPPX which it´s tab says the consumption Kwh/year goes to 323 and the limit of Kwh/year it´s 378....

    If I choose the second option (refrigerator with inverted compressor) how much panels, batteries, charge inverter, etc would I need?

    Thanks I hope this information is helpful to you!

  • #2
    The question is - will you need 120V for anything else ? if not, go with the DC solar Fridge (PV, controller, battery)
    otherwise,
    the Energy Star fridges, standard ones will need about a 1Kw PSW inverter to reliably start, and PV, controller, battery & inverter. Likely best to make it a 24 or 48V system.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

    Comment


    • #3
      The problem with starting with a small system for one particular AC load ends up growing into a much larger system for a lot of AC loads.

      I agree with Mike. Build the system to just run the DC fridge.

      Unless you decide you want a much bigger "off grid" system. Then you have to start from square one and calculate all of your daily loads to size you battery system and your pv panel wattage.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        The question is - will you need 120V for anything else ? if not, go with the DC solar Fridge (PV, controller, battery)
        otherwise,
        the Energy Star fridges, standard ones will need about a 1Kw PSW inverter to reliably start, and PV, controller, battery & inverter. Likely best to make it a 24 or 48V system.
        Excuse me but I´m really new with this terms.. what do you refer when you say 120V? Thanks

        Comment


        • DanKegel
          DanKegel commented
          Editing a comment
          120V = mains/grid AC power in US

      • #5
        Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        The problem with starting with a small system for one particular AC load ends up growing into a much larger system for a lot of AC loads.

        I agree with Mike. Build the system to just run the DC fridge.

        Unless you decide you want a much bigger "off grid" system. Then you have to start from square one and calculate all of your daily loads to size you battery system and your pv panel wattage.

        I already have a small off grid system. It gives energy to 1 telephone and 8-10 lights only. I´m interested in install something just for the refrigerator and I´m watching all the options thank you

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by Procyon89 View Post


          I already have a small off grid system. It gives energy to 1 telephone and 8-10 lights only. I´m interested in install something just for the refrigerator and I´m watching all the options thank you
          OK. Then focus on the DC fridge. Going with an AC one adds to your electrical losses using an inverter and the potential issue with the compressor motor requiring a pure sine wave to run.

          Comment


          • #7
            Because of all the electronics I'd go with the DC off-grid frig. It'll easily out live 2 or 3 of the new technology frigs.

            WWW

            Comment


            • #8
              Thanks Mike Suneagle DanKegel and White wolf... I will follow your experience and will get the Solar DC... my next homework is find the best option of them thank you

              Comment

              Working...
              X