X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NPBD
    • Oct 2010

Off Grid with small or no battery.

Hello all.
    I want to install off grid solar to south East-Asia. 10 latitude 11-13 hrs daylight year round)
    Small house 80 m2. running 1 AC of 1hp close to 16hr/day ( setting at 28 celsius - cool not cold) + other stuff.
    We used about 300Kw per month.

The problem is we have a blackout every 3/4 days from 9AM to 7PM.
    I want to install solar to use daily between 9 and 7 regardless blackout.
    battery are very expensive over there and fragile if you don't know how to maintain them. my fox there have no clue. flip the switch and use it situation.

I am looking for a system with manual switch to off grid with the least battery as possible. number of panel is not a problem (DIY type) and in a cloudy day use fan instead of AC, otherwise go out don't stay home

With those info can you recommend a setup with or without battery.
    Wind add-on will be open for later year.

Remember net-meter; resell to the grid does not exist over there. UL and certification only in movie.

Thanks
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

First, Welcome

Second, what you ask is doable. Next task, figure out what your critical loads are, that you want to power. Solar PV and batteries are expensive. We'll first design a battery charger that you plug in @ 9pm, and recharge the batteries with all night. Then add some solar to it, to give you power during the day. We stop counting on solar at 3pm, because the sun is too low to give much power at that time, so 3pm - 7pm will all be on battery only. (4 hours)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• NPBD
      • Oct 2010

My day load are about 1 kwh top
      750w (1 hp mini split ac) + 1 desktop pc; lcd + modem router
      No light.
      Also 750W is when the compressor of the Ac running. As we put the thermostat very high it does not run all the time. but for the planing i assume it's running all time.

So 1,000 WHr is what I need
      I plan to put 1.5 to 2Kw solar panel on the roof.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by NPBD
        My day load are about 1 kwh top
        That is not possible with the loads you mentioned, it has to be much higher than that. You stated you use 300 Kwh per month, that is 10 Kwh per day.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• NPBD
          • Oct 2010

Yes we have more equipment. like washer, tankless hot water, micro wave, frig, TV etc...

But if we use solar from 9 to 7 those appliances (except frig and micro wave) will not be used on day time. Only when connected with the grid from 7PM to 9 AM.

That why our average used is 10Kw / day

Hope this make sense to you.

Comment

• NPBD
            • Oct 2010

Sorry when I said 300KwH it just 300Kw total not per hour.
            so it 300Kw per month or average 10Kw per day

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by NPBD
              Sorry when I said 300KwH it just 300Kw total not per hour.
              so it 300Kw per month or average 10Kw per day
              No Sir that is not correct. You do not understand the terms and what they mean.

Watt = electrical power at a given moment in time. Like for example 500 watts
              Watt Hour = energy consumed over a period of time, or Watts x Hours or like 5000 watt hours or 5 Kwh

So if your AC unit uses 500 watts and operates 10 hours 500 w x 10 h = 5000 watt hours or 5 Kwh.

So you say your Air Conditioner uses 1000 watts. How many hours does it run? More than 1 hour I bet? For example if it runs for only 5 short hours, 1000 watts x 5 hours = 5000 or 5 Kwh.

Now maybe you can understand the huge amount of power and expense it will take to run your AC with solar and batteries.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...