Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plove53
    • Oct 2015

Question on washer/dryer/freezer

Hello... I'm new to wanting solar power...

I have a slate roof so I don't think I want to use solar for the whole house (yet)... BUT, I was thinking I just want to use solar power in just the appliances in my basement... I have a 6' freezer, small refrigerator, basic washer/dryer. Around how much power would I need for average use, and around how much would I save a year (is it worth it?)

Thanks
    -phil
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

The only cost effective solar is going to be grid tied solar if you have access to net metering. It does not make sense to have specifically identified loads loads for solar. The kilowatts you buy from the utility are not specific. Do yourself a favor contact your utility and determine what rate plans apply to solar and design a system that makes sense. If you look at a years worth of bills you can figure out how much power your are using and then pick a percentage of that amount. Don't waste your time contemplating some sort of system with batteries hooked up to dedicated circuits, if you manage to pull if off you are probably looking at power which is five times the cost of utility power.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by plove53
      Hello... I'm new to wanting solar power...

I have a slate roof so I don't think I want to use solar for the whole house (yet)... BUT, I was thinking I just want to use solar power in just the appliances in my basement... I have a 6' freezer, small refrigerator, basic washer/dryer. Around how much power would I need for average use, and around how much would I save a year (is it worth it?)

Thanks
      -phil
      Get a grid tie system and mount it somewhere besides a roof.

Comment

Working...