Anyway to make a TV solar powered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to make a TV solar powered?

I had to ask this. A buddy of mine doesn't have outdoor outlets on his house. He has like a party tent sort of set up in his backyard about 40 feet back. I can't recall what you call it, it is like a heavy duty tent over a low deck. Anyways, He wants to somehow get a small TV out there without running electricity. Any ideas? Something that wouldn't cost too much.
    [URL="http://greentumble.com/"]Greentumble[/URL]

Originally posted by SolarFox View Post
    I had to ask this. A buddy of mine doesn't have outdoor outlets on his house. He has like a party tent sort of set up in his backyard about 40 feet back. I can't recall what you call it, it is like a heavy duty tent over a low deck. Anyways, He wants to somehow get a small TV out there without running electricity. Any ideas? Something that wouldn't cost too much.
    Cheapest solutions are, in this order,
    A battery and inverter that he takes inside to recharge, and
    A nice long extension cord through a window. (I did not suggest that last one, since it would violate the National Electrical Code.)

There is no cheap solar solution.

Suggestion: Dole out your ideas to us slowly over a longer period of time. You are overwhelming us.
    And your enthusiasm is depressing.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Small TV? I have a 7" TV that has built in batteries. Or just plug in a 12V battery into it. Bruce Roe

Comment

Complete waste of money, and a much better lower cost alternative exist. Just buy a 12 volt battery, charger, and inverter. and be done with it at 1/2 the cost.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

More cheaper is this tv projector,draws only 18watt, dc or ac with adaptor. I bought it for about 150usd. Works fine and during sun hours completely free with 50wp panel without drawing from the battery and the battery(bank) being charged also
          Attached Files

Comment

Using solar to power a TV, never try. Because I watch tons of TV and am afraid that power would turn down when the show is having a cliffhanger.

Comment

@starmie...connecting the described tv projector to a solar system with solar panel(s), chargecontroller and battery bank is a peace of cake, even if you want to run it 24 hours. As described above it only draws 18watt. You dont need a huge solar system for this.

Comment

I would build a power pack from a 35AH sealed battery, two of them if the TV is 19v. use an appropriate sized ammo can or similar box with handle. Use a smart charger in the house to charge battery and carry it to the tent when needed. Solar is not necessary for this application. If the TV is 19v and a 24v battery is employed, you will need a simple 24 to 19v step down for voltage conversion. Adding solar to this runs the risk that batteries will never completely charge and will fail sooner than later.

Comment

You are talking to ghost.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    You are talking to ghost.
                    Who needs a solar TV when you can stream just about everything on your cell phone.

Comment

Well SunKing I'm back and after reading some of your answers to post, you are making me laugh. Now I do have a question for you that I need a answer for. I wanted to add my refrigerator to my system but when the refrig. kick on the inverter kick off. Way too muck watts to get the compressor going. Now either I don't hook the refrig. to the system or .........pause......Is there a in line capacitor that will give that motor a kick in the a.. and not make my invertor shut down? 73s

Comment

Originally posted by ufoexpert View Post
                        Well SunKing I'm back and after reading some of your answers to post, you are making me laugh. Now I do have a question for you that I need a answer for. I wanted to add my refrigerator to my system but when the refrig. kick on the inverter kick off. Way too muck watts to get the compressor going. Now either I don't hook the refrig. to the system or .........pause......Is there a in line capacitor that will give that motor a kick in the a.. and not make my invertor shut down? 73s
                        To answer your question requires me, or us to know if it is your Inverter LVD is causing the problem, or your Inverter cannot supply the LRA demand of your compressor motor when it starts. The real answer is a fridge with Soft Start. Afraid there is not going to be a good answer for you. Motor loads and off-grid solar do not play well together. Solar and batteries are just to Soft, and the work around is EXPENSIVE.

73's back at you. Check out QRZ 5-Ohm thread for laughs.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                        X