NOCO Genius Boost GB30 lithium jumpstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOCO Genius Boost GB30 lithium jumpstarter

I just picked up a NOCO GB30 lithium jumpstarter and really like it for what it does.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/

There are a lot of these things out on the market now, and I don't intend for this to be an automotive review of the unit itself, although personally I think it rocks.

One of the MAJOR things it has going for it is that unlike others that use coaxial jacks for the dc-charger input, the Noco uses just a common micro-usb port for charging. Thus I don't have to worry about losing the special wall-wart with the right sized coaxial plug etc. Staying organized would solve that problem, but after a few years, wall warts seem to walk off the job here. With the Noco, I just need to use any micro-usb cable which are everywhere.

The clamps are detacheable, so it isn't too much of a pita to use it for other things, and carry in your backpack for hikes and charging up small stuff. Leave the clamps in the glove box.

The best thing about it, is that it makes it easy for me to solar-charge it with something like an Anker 8 or 14watt panel that has it's own 5v usb regulator.

Q: What is the capacity of the internal battery?
    A: Roughly 24Wh (Watt-Hours).
    at 12V, that's 2Ah
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It is a very good example of what NOT to buy for long-term low-curent things other than what it was designed for, or a cellphone / tablet boost here and there.

Using high-rate li-ion cells at something like being capable of 20C, it will start a dead truck. But leave your bike's stereo on for an hour or two pulling an amp, and you are toast very quickly. Some of the powersports guys using Shorai's, Antigravity, and the like find this out the hard way when they combine starting and regular-use duties. The rule of thumb there is to fit the largest that will go into the battery bay if they do anything other than just starting a race-bike.

My large prismatic 20ah GBS lifepo4 battery actually cost less! Then again, it doesn't have a 20C capability. However, a simple 14 watt anker panel will charge a fully discharged 2ah NOCO in a few hours.

So kids, match the battery to the application, or it will cost you big time.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
        I just picked up a NOCO GB30 lithium jumpstarter and really like it for what it does.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/

There are a lot of these things out on the market now, and I don't intend for this to be an automotive review of the unit itself, although personally I think it rocks.

One of the MAJOR things it has going for it is that unlike others that use coaxial jacks for the dc-charger input, the Noco uses just a common micro-usb port for charging. Thus I don't have to worry about losing the special wall-wart with the right sized coaxial plug etc. Staying organized would solve that problem, but after a few years, wall warts seem to walk off the job here. With the Noco, I just need to use any micro-usb cable which are everywhere.

The clamps are detacheable, so it isn't too much of a pita to use it for other things, and carry in your backpack for hikes and charging up small stuff. Leave the clamps in the glove box.

The best thing about it, is that it makes it easy for me to solar-charge it with something like an Anker 8 or 14watt panel that has it's own 5v usb regulator.
        Hi PNjunction,
        I am Doris Wisdom, from Suaoki company, I

MOD NOTE: Please do not use this forum to advertise any solar hardware. Doing so will get the post deleted and you banned.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 11-13-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doriswisdom View Post

Hi PNjunction,
          I am Doris Wisdom, from Suaoki company, I
          Buh-bye Doris!
          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Buh-bye Doris!

Why?? She might have something valuable to add here. She hasn't gotten her post through because of the ridiculous glitch in this sight.
            I wouldn't assume she is just going to advertise and at least give her a chance to post a complete statement before warning her about advertising on this forum.

Doris, Try composing your post without using any apostrophes.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

Why?? She might have something valuable to add here.
              Oh please...It's a 4-year old thread brought back to life by a spammer trying to place a link to Suaoki jumper packs.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Oh please...It's a 4-year old thread brought back to life by a spammer trying to place a link to Suaoki jumper packs.
                I'd be the first to flag that post if it was advertising. Thing is the post was clipped short and while not being clairvoyant, myself, figured there could be something of value said. Maybe not.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I just got my suaoki jump starter .It worked to get my car started. It was simple to use too.

The only problem I had with it was that my car battery was so low that it's safety auto-detect kept flipping between on and off. I had to time it to crank the car when it flipped green.

Also, the manual said there was a switch to disable the safety mode, but I didn't find it on the actual product.

None the less, this is a huge improvement over trying to get jump starting help from random people in the parking lot.

And it has a flashlight and seems to have a ton of capacity for phone recharging too!

Comment

Originally posted by Doriswisdom View Post
                    I just got my suaoki jump starter .It worked to get my car started. It was simple to use too.

The only problem I had with it was that my car battery was so low that it's safety auto-detect kept flipping between on and off. I had to time it to crank the car when it flipped green.

Also, the manual said there was a switch to disable the safety mode, but I didn't find it on the actual product.

None the less, this is a huge improvement over trying to get jump starting help from random people in the parking lot.

And it has a flashlight and seems to have a ton of capacity for phone recharging too!
                    Nice to know the jump starter works for you. This information would be more helpful from someone that does not work for the company that makes the product. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X