X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agenthex
    • Jun 2013

Washing Man vs. Machine

Hi, folks. I'm looking to the future, and I wanted a little input:

I have a solar system with 1500W inverter on a 48V bank, and I want to know if it makes more sense to buy a cheap washing machine to run off the system I already have or if it would make more sense to obtain a smaller-volume hand-operated camp washer.

I can't see using a medium/large washer more than once a week. On average, I would expect to do laundry every two or three weeks. With a small camp washer, I'd expect to do so more frequently or in series at a time. Either way, a dryer is not necessary, so I just need to know what sounds like a better idea.

Thanks for your help.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Here is your solar washing machine.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• agenthex
      • Jun 2013

I was just thinking that a used AC washer on Craigslist might be a better idea than a camp washer, both of which are better than Sunking's idea. (Sk: Are you Amish? Value a days work? Sweat of your brow, mate?)

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by agenthex
        (Sk: Are you Amish? Value a days work? Sweat of your brow, mate?)
        Amish, no
        Value a Days Work, yes
        Sweat of my Brow, yes
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by agenthex
          I can't see using a medium/large washer more than once a week. On average, I would expect to do laundry every two or three weeks. With a small camp washer, I'd expect to do so more frequently or in series at a time. Either way, a dryer is not necessary, so I just need to know what sounds like a better idea.
          As long as your inverter can handle the motor starting current (easily 5 times the steady state current), then there is no engineering reason not to run an AC washer.
          FWIW the direct drive brushless DC motors found in newer front loaders will not have nearly the current spike at startup. But the electronic controls in the same machines may be more vulnerable to poor power quality.
          If you can use the machine during the day when the panels are at peak output, you will not even run your batteries down much if at all.
          But the camp washer will be even more efficient. Many of them do not spin very well and so the drying time will be significantly longer. Using the solar clothes dryer, of course.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            Amish, no
            Value a Days Work, yes
            Sweat of my Brow, yes
            What about using flat rocks in a fast moving stream? Works for a lot of people in 3rd world countries.

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
              What about using flat rocks in a fast moving stream? Works for a lot of people in 3rd world countries.
              Yup, downstream from where you draw your water, but upstream of your neighbor.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

While he listens to his MP3, talks on the cell phone and uses his GPS - a washing machine in camp?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
                  While he listens to his MP3, talks on the cell phone and uses his GPS - a washing machine in camp?
                  Some people just don't like to "rough it" when they camp.

My wife and I use to tent camp a lot but now that we have trouble getting up off the ground we use our Class A RV. Although it doesn't have a washer so there is still some "roughing it".

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Some people just don't like to "rough it" when they camp.

My wife and I use to tent camp a lot but now that we have trouble getting up off the ground we use our Class A RV. Although it doesn't have a washer so there is still some "roughing it".
                    That is the whole point of life. Live below your means while you work, retire and live the rest of your life in luxury tax free. Something they don't teach you in school.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                      That is the whole point of life. Live below your means while you work, retire and live the rest of your life in luxury tax free. Something they don't teach you in school.
                      Or enjoy and spend it like you got it before the economy collapses. Which is being predicted to be very soon.

If it does collapse, do you need someone to do odd jobs for you?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

If it does collapse, do you need someone to do odd jobs for you?
                        You know you have a standing invitation. Come on down, a man can live like a king tax free on $100K. Our living expenses here are around $1000/month, and we could cut that by 50% if needed. Technically you could not work here, but lots of jobs for cash especially on the north side beaches where the tourist go. We got a Biker gang from the USA around here that makes a ton of cash selling Panama Red to tourist. We grow it up here in the mountains, bikers buy it and take it to the Caribbean side.

Another Expat former USN submarine cook bought a bar here where I live and is where the US Expats go for burgers, steaks, plate dinners, and US beer. That is where I met the bikers as they hang out there. Best food in Panama with real US beef. Locals don't go there because they cannot afford it. Only locals are the local police who go there because they get anything they want for free.

All kinds of stuff you can do. how about mowing a golf course?

You name it, you got it. Just learn some Spanish, and don't go east of the Canal.

Edit note:

Strange thing is I use to work 4-days a week for 6 hours each day. They cut me back to 2 days and 4 hours a day because I get too much done. I can do more work in a day than my 4 full time peers can do in a week. I always wondered why Mexico, Central and South America economies are so poor. Now I know why.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...