Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendations for a upright freezer for conversion

Hi,
    I'm going to buy a small upright freezer and convert it to a refrigerator I'm looking at the ones around 3.5 or 5 cubic feet
    Does anyone on here have any recommendations for which brand or what to look for? Or what to stay away from?

Also is there that much of a difference in the power draw of a 3.5 and a 5.0 ?

Originally posted by Leehamrick View Post
    Hi,
    I'm going to buy a small upright freezer and convert it to a refrigerator I'm looking at the ones around 3.5 or 5 cubic feet
    Does anyone on here have any recommendations for which brand or what to look for? Or what to stay away from?

you are about the 3rd person that has mentioned they want to do this. I am now wondering what the rationale behind it is. why not just buy a 5 cuf refridgerator without a freezer?

Comment

You tell us if there is any difference between 420 watts vs 600 watts. The school I went to taught me there is 43% increase from 420 to 600.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Rdjntx View Post
        you are about the 3rd person that has mentioned they want to do this. I am now wondering what the rationale behind it is. why not just buy a 5 cuf refridgerator without a freezer?
        From what I have red an upright freezer converted to a refrigerator is a very efficient way to go. The extra insulation really
        helps and with the door over the top you don't loose the cold air every time you open it.
        They even have a simple easy to use kit to convert them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          You tell us if there is any difference between 420 watts vs 600 watts. The school I went to taught me there is 43% increase from 420 to 600.
          I was referring to a 3.5 or 5.0 cubic feet freezer

Comment

I was referring to a 3.5 or 5.0 cubic feet freezer
            About what Sunking said - though if the insulation is equal it would be a surface area comparison.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
              About what Sunking said - though if the insulation is equal it would be a surface area comparison.
              No I don't think so. I don't think that if you double the size that you would double the power to run it.
              I don't think it runs on an even scale like that. I been looking at a lot of energy ratings and it doesn't
              seem to stack up that way.

Comment

No I don't think so. I don't think that if you double the size that you would double the power to run it.
                I don't think it runs on an even scale like that. I been looking at a lot of energy ratings and it doesn't
                seem to stack up that way.
                You were comparing surface areas between different models?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                  You were comparing surface areas between different models?
                  I was looking at cubic feet per unit

Comment

I was looking at cubic feet per unit
                    Study how insulation works then comment.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Ok found what I was looking for the midea 3.5 cubic inch > yearly estimated usage $23 @215Kwh @10.65 per
                      The same midea only in a 7.0 cubic inch> yearly estimated usage $30 @277kwH @10.65 per

Hummmmmmmm the freezer doubled in size but the power usage didn't,,,,,,,

When I went to school they taught me to check my information before I slammed someone for asking a reasonable question.
                      Does trying to make someone look bad make people like you feel good or what? I would like to know I have never done that.

Midea Chest Freezers
                      The table below shows related products by this manufacturer:
                      This Product

Midea 3.5 cu ft Chest Freezer Midea 5 cu ft Chest Freezer Midea 7 cu ft Chest Freezer
                      Capacity
                      Freezer Capacity 3.5 cu ft 5 cu ft 7 cu ft
                      Energy Usage
                      Estimated Yearly Electricity Use 215kWh 240kWh 277kWh
                      Features
                      Net Dimensions (Inches) 22.1/21.3/33.5 28.8/21.3/33.5 37.2/20.6/33.5
                      Temperature Control Mechanical Mechanical Mechanical
                      Handle Recessed Recessed Recessed
                      Freezer Shelf 1(Steel) 1(Steel) 1(Steel)
                      This Product

Midea 3.5 cu ft Chest Freezer Midea 5 cu ft Chest Freezer Midea 7 cu ft Chest Freezer
                      Capacity
                      Energy Usage
                      Features

Comment

Ok found what I was looking for the midea 3.5 cubic inch > yearly estimated usage $23 @215Kwh @10.65 per
                        The same midea only in a 7.0 cubic inch> yearly estimated usage $30 @277kwH @10.65 per

When I went to school they taught me to check my information before I slammed someone for asking a reasonable question.
                        Does trying to make someone look bad make people like you feel good or what? I would like to know I have never done that.

Midea Chest Freezers
                        The table below shows related products by this manufacturer:
                        This Product

Capacity
                        Energy Usage
                        Features
                        This Product

Capacity
                        Energy Usage
                        Features
                        This may be true for those models but most Manufacturers will provide efficiency or power usage details based on very specific lab conditions which never come close to real life conditions.

Unless there is something very special about how they are insulated or the type of compressor being used I would expect the 7 cu ft would use (while maybe not 430kWh) probably closer to 350kWh per year. Less if you kept it filled with food and only opened the door once a week.

Those Freezer claims are not much different than Car manufactures claiming a certain MPG for city/highway. In real usage people rarely ever get what the Manufacturer claims.

Comment

A very good observation, which I will address below!

Simple physics, which is a good first approximation to the real world:

1. Unless you are opening and adding food a lot, the power consumption will be proportional to the heat leaking through the insulation.
                          2. For identical insulation thickness, the heat load will be proportional to the surface area.
                          3. The surface area is proportional to the square of the linear scale of the box (read: height, depth, width)
                          4. The volume (contents) is proportional to the cube of the linear scale.
                          Conclusion: All other things being equal, the efficiency of a freezer will increase with size (faster than the cost increases with size even)
                          Secondary conclusion: Since there are serious design problems for a spherical freezer (at least for solid contents), the most efficient shape for the interior will be a cube.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Posting BS is posting BS - regardless of what you want to call it. You have no idea but want to act like youdo.

You just did what you claim not to have - your entire line of reasoning is off.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Where I went to school 215 does not equal 277. Did your school teach you that?
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X