igloo chest freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• igloo chest freezer

So I'm trying to figure out whether this is energy efficient or not: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/igloo-5-...LBAHjg5m3YgNPA

The energyguide says 172kwh but I'm not sure how those numbers are calculated. It has a refrigerator setting, so I'm wondering what setting was used to determine the kwh's?

It is an estimate and estimate only. It means for solar it uses roughly .5 Kwh/day which means you need to make 1 Kwh/day to use it.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

I thought that Bucho had a good question for someone that doesn't understand all the hi tec talk.
      Can't you guys at least tell him if this is good compared to the other brands or something?
      I came here looking to ask question myself to try and figure out which small up right freezer to
      buy and convert into a refrigerator. Would this make a good one?
      I thought the reason for a forum was to help out people with questions about things they don't
      fully understand. And an answer that's' not to high tech would be great

Comment

Not sure how to answer in simple terms except the manufacturer "estimated" the yearly energy use at 172kWh. What they based that calculation on is probably unknown by anyone not involved with the design and testing of that freezer.

So is it energy efficient? Since it is not Energy Star qualified (based on the specs) I would hazard a guess and say no. Is it a good deal at $160? Maybe.

Sunking provided an estimate of what would it take to run it off of a solar pv system. You would need to generate 1kWh a day to run the freezer. That system can be built using different hardware from moderately expensive to very expensive. Since the manufacturer estimates it will cost $18 per year using POCO power I think it would be hard to justify using solar to run it.

Not sure if that answers your question or not.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: added POCO comment

Comment

Originally posted by Leehamrick View Post
          I thought that Bucho had a good question for someone that doesn't understand all the hi tec talk.
          Can't you guys at least tell him if this is good compared to the other brands or something?

The issue is if you are going to DIY something that involves electricity you had better know something about it like the basics. As for the chest fridge in question is a poor choice. The unit is an entry level small chest freezer that sells for $250. Real quickly one can tell if it might be a good candidate by just simple looking to see if it is Energy Star rated. The unit is not Energy Star rated. Price is also a clue. Cheap units do not have good insulation or efficient compressors.

Here is a similar size unit made specifically to run off 24 volt solar systems. It is 5.8 cubic feet and sells for $1100. The unit in question uses roughly 500 wh each day, and the Sundanzer uses around 200 wh each day.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

So since I don't know much about what to look for when buying a small freezer make sure that it is "Energy Star Rated"?
            That seems to carry some weight I see that keeps coming up. If an appliance is star rated that means a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              The unit in question uses roughly 500 wh each day
              On what setting? That's my question.

I can read the energyguide tag just as easily as anybody else, but that doesn't tell me how the number is calculated.

Do you know how the number is calculated?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucho View Post
                On what setting? That's my question.

I can read the energyguide tag just as easily as anybody else, but that doesn't tell me how the number is calculated.

Do you know how the number is calculated?
                In a controlled lab which you cannot duplicate. If it says it uses 500 wh per day, use 750 wh which is more real world application. Just like EPA estimated MPG, you will never see it.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

In a controlled lab which you cannot duplicate. If it says it uses 500 wh per day, use 750 wh which is more real world application. Just like EPA estimated MPG, you will never see it.
                  BUT ON WHAT SETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a freezer or a refrigerator?

Comment

You may have to contact the manufacturer to get that information. I would guess since it is advertised as a "freezer" then that was what it was "set" for to get the 172kWh usage. But again I am just guessing.

Comment

It is a Freezer. Manufactures do not publish information intended use. As soon as you modify the unit, the warranty is void and null. If you really want to know buy a watt meter like a Kill-A -Watt, let it run a week under normal conditions and see what it uses daily.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Leehamrick View Post
                        I came here looking to ask question myself to try and figure out which small up right freezer to
                        buy and convert into a refrigerator. Would this make a good one?
                        The neat thing about this is that you wouldn't need to recalibrate the thermostat set screw or add an additional thermostat, just turn the thermostat to refrigerator mode. So if the energyguide number on this is remotely comparable to the energyguide numbers on other chest freezers that people have DIY'ed this should be a great candidate.

pWY1vz9.jpg

Comment

It is a Freezer. Manufactures do not publish information intended use. As soon as you modify the unit, the warranty is void and null.
                          *face palm*

Dude, if you're going to go with the whole smug superiority routine you should at least read the original post first. There's no modifying involved with this one, you just turn the dial on it's built in thermostat until you get to the setting marked refrigerator.

Comment

*face palm*

Dude, if you're going to go with the whole smug superiority routine you should at least read the original post first. There's no modifying involved with this one, you just turn the dial on it's built in thermostat until you get to the setting marked refrigerator.
                            Something else you need to consider. That 172kWh/yr estimate is based on additional information that they do not publish.

Where will this be used? In a hot garage or in a cool basement?

How much will it be filled? Less food/beverage = lower efficiency. More food/beverage = better efficiency.

How many times a day will it be opened and for how long?

I am sure the manufacturer used some numbers for the ambient temperature, how much food will be in it and how often it will be opened in their calculations. The problem is that information is at the manufacturer and you will not necessarily find it here or any other forum.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                              I am sure the manufacturer used some numbers for the ambient temperature, how much food will be in it and how often it will be opened in their calculations. The problem is that information is at the manufacturer and you will not necessarily find it here or any other forum.
                              So what you're saying is that the testing for the energyguide labels isn't remotely standard making them useless for comparing different products?

Comment

Working...
                              X