X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adityabhandari54
    • Jun 2014

solar charger for electric vehicles

hello,
    i am into a project of designing a solar charger for electric vehicles. the electric vehicles have a battery operating at 59V and of 20Ah. can anyone please guide me as to what solar panels must be used and other required details.
    Last edited by Mike90250; 06-01-2014, 01:57 AM. Reason: typo in title
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

First - will the vehicles be parked and plugged in to charge during the sunny part of the day ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• adityabhandari54
      • Jun 2014

Yes I want to preliminary make it for stand by charging. As to when it is idle it can b charged.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

OK, so the vehicle is parked all day under the panels for recharge.

What amount of power is used at night & what is the KWh capacity of the battery bank in the vehicle?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• adityabhandari54
          • Jun 2014

Yes it is designed for application as u go to work and vehicle is just idle at your work place. Then why not use that idle time to charge the battery using solar

The capacity is 20Ah.kWh specifications are not specified. Also the battery is of 59V as I specified

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Just what kind of vehicle uses a 59 volt 20 AH battery? A golf cart has 20 times that capacity.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by adityabhandari54
              hello,
              i am into a project of designing a solar charger for electric vehicles. the electric vehicles have a battery operating at 59V and of 20Ah. can anyone please guide me as to what solar panels must be used and other required details.
              20KAH maybe??

Any way most of the systems I have seen like this are basically just grid tied system anyway. pretty simple do to that way and you get benefit of electricity when no car being charged during the day as well as night charging capabilities.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                20KAH maybe??

Any way most of the systems I have seen like this are basically just grid tied system anyway. pretty simple do to that way and you get benefit of electricity when no car being charged during the day as well as night charging capabilities.
                It would be extremely foolish and poor design using a 59 volt 20,000 AH battery. No one in their right mind and who knows anything about motors and batteries would never ever do that. EV's use higher voltages of 300 to 600 volts and th elargest I know of is Tesla S Car with a 60 Kwh battery that operates at 400 volts 150 AH battery. Nissan Leaf uses a 400 volt 100 AH battery.

A 59 volt 20,000 AH battery would weigh in around 1.18 Mwh and 65,000 pounds. No way Jose.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I think the 59v (60v) 20ah battery is used on a small two or 3 wheel bike or scooter from Asia.

Too small to run any type of 4 wheel vehicle.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I think the 59v (60v) 20ah battery is used on a small two or 3 wheel bike or scooter from Asia.

Too small to run any type of 4 wheel vehicle.
                    He is probably talking about the auto rickshaw. Only thing is that those guys are constantly on the move
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...