Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loreoff
    • May 2014

Which Refer would be better

1. VISSANI 4.5cf refer: The Energy guide stats the Estimated Yearly Electricity usage is 235kwh. If we break this down to wh we would divide 235000/365 = 644wh per day, divide 644/24 = 27whVISSANI 4.5 Refer.pdf

2. TruckFridge TF130 4.2cf Refer: voltage 12-24v, nominal input 60 watt, average consumption is 24whTruckFridge Model_ TF130 - Fits most Volvo 770.pdf

Both refer will have additional foam applied to them to increase R value.

I will be using a 24v system unless that not right
    I like the Renogy Solar 250w mono Panels
    I want to use GC type batteries for this as a learning experience and then upgrade to RE batteries.

This will be for My 35 foot Houseboat and the panels will be on an angle facing the sun
  • mapmaker
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by loreoff
    1. VISSANI The Energy guide stats the Estimated Yearly Electricity usage is 235kwh. If we break this down to wh we would divide 235000/365 = 644wh per day, divide 644/24 = 27wh

2. TruckFridge TF130 4.2cf Refer: voltage 12-24v, nominal input 60 watt, average consumption is 24wh
    When you divide 644 wh per day by 24 hours per day you get 27 watts (not 27 wh). That is the average consumption. Since the fridge cycles on and off, the actual consumption when it is on is greater than 27 watts.

Same applies to the truckfridge.

Originally posted by loreoff
    Both refer will have additional foam applied to them to increase R value.
    Make sure you know where the fridges dissipate their heat... it may be in the wall of the fridge. Don't block it with extra foam.

--mapmaker
    ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• loreoff
      • May 2014

Which Refer would be better

Any suggestion on what panels, controller(mppt) and Battery size(24v) i would need to power the refer

thank u

Comment

• jony101
        • Jun 2014

reefer

I had the edgestar fp430 fridge very similar to the truckfridge but bigger (both use the danfoss compressor). So performance would be similar. I had a dc wattmeter attached to the fridge and in a 24 hour period it comsumed about 25 amps when fridge was set to 40 degrees. thats where I kept it all times. At 40 degrees it kept my milk fresh with no problem which is what I wanted.
        I had a 120 watt panel (and 75 amp agm battery) at first but it could barely keep up with the fridge, a couple of cloudy days and the fridge would go offline because of low battery. I upgraded to a 240 watt panel and a 145 amp agm battery and never had problems again. Even on cloudy days I get 6 amps out of the solar panel.
        I have a sharp 240 watt mono panel and am using a ecoworthy mppt controller for the past year (the controller cost me 105 dollars) I can get as much as 12 amps when the sun is overhead.
        The fridge does get hot when the compressor is running, but there are vents in the areas so you know not to cover those places. And yes I did put foam on the exterior of fridge but mostly to keep me from getting hot since I sometimes tool a nap next to fridge. The fridge uses about 6 amps when the compressor is running, it runs about 20 minutes then cycles off. Usually when the fridge temp get to 41 degrees it kicks on and when fridge temp reaches 37 degrees it turns off.
        Running a 12 volt dc fridge 24/7 off solar power is practical (if set to 40 degrees) even with my 120 watt panel and 75 amp battery, I ran it for 6 months and only cloudy days was a problem.
        My recommendation is at least a 240 watt panel and 145 amp battery also mppt controller is a must.

Comment

• mapmaker
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jony101
          The fridge does get hot when the compressor is running, but there are vents in the areas so you know not to cover those places. And yes I did put foam on the exterior of fridge but mostly to keep me from getting hot since I sometimes took a nap next to fridge.
          Anything you do to block the heat (from getting to you) means more heat is staying near the fridge. This will reduce its efficiency. The compressor works by pumping heat out of the food compartment into your living space... if you impede the flow of heat you will use more energy, make the compressor work harder, and shorten its life.

--mapmaker
          ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• jony101
            • Jun 2014

fridge covers

I also took wattmeter readings with fridge covered in foam and the amp usage was about the same. As long as you dont cover the fridge air vents it will should be ok. The fridgemakers actually sell thermal blankets design for there fridges to improve fridge efficiency. For me I was just trying to keep heat off of me back.

Comment

Working...