Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run a chest freezer off my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run a chest freezer off my system?

We have 1.5kw solar panels that are pared to 4x200amp 12v lead acid batteries, inverted to 220v, sun 80% of the time and a generator that charges them 10hrs a day through the night. At the moment we have a combined max load of 400w, would it be possible to run a chest freezer of say 400w off the panels and battery as well? Where's somewhere I can find the formulas for this?
    Thanks!

Hi there...and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

To be able to see what sort of power you have available from your array, we will need to know what your solar insolation is for your area (to be able to calculate the power generated).

I would recommend going to the "off-grid" section of the forum, and having a read through the 'stickies' there. It will more than likely answer the majority of your questions as well. Those stickies have a goldmine of information! Go take a look at them, and then post any further questions that you might have here (as well as the solar insolation for your area).

All the best,
    Daz.

Comment

I would get a kill-a-watt-meter and hook the freezer to it, to see how much power the freezer will use throughout a day or week or even a month. Freezers turn on and turn off, so the label on the freezer will not tell you exactly how much power your freezer uses, it all depends how much you use/open the freezer and the outside temperature and how much you have in the freezer and the freezer itself.
      You need to figure out how many watts your freezers uses in a given time....24 hrs or more is the best this way you cover on and off cycles within the time period.

Comment

Working...
      X