Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good choice for portable charging?

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a small solar panel that I can use to charge a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and the AA batteries in this Duracell battery charger/USB power pack when I'm off the grid: http://www.deltagearinc.com/kit-and-...l-cef23dx2.php

I've done a bunch of research, and this Suntactics sCharger-5 seems compact and very good, going by the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/sCharger-5-Per...pr_product_top

My questions are, what else would compete with it, since I'd like to consider all options, or if you suggest I take another route let me know about that. Also, assuming I get the Suntactics, how can I use the panel's USB out with the standard outlet or car cigarette lighter ins of the battery charger?

Thanks!

I wouldn't plug my Iphone into it.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ghlight=iphone

There are a ton of phone charging threads I would look at some of these first.
    Last edited by solarIdiot; 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Seems pretty expensive at $140 for a 5 watt panel.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Seems pretty expensive at $140 for a 5 watt panel.
        Some of the guys carried an energizer battery pack to charge their ipods and camcorders.
        I tried to search for them to get a cost and energizer actually makes one now that comes with solar panels!
        Less than $100 with a three year warranty.
        I'd trust them before the one the op linked to.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I saw that someone in another thread mentioned the Waka Waka. It has really good reviews at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WakaWaka-WWP70...&keywords=waka

It's not as big as the Suntactics, but I think you can charge an iPad with it. It also has a built in light and battery. Since it's small, it's not bulky with those extra features. Thoughts on that for my purpose, or is there something better?

Comment

That one looks better than the first.

Comment

It does look like the Suntactics is a good unit and would probably offer more power, but maybe the Waka Waka would work for me. It looks very compact. I emailed the company, but does anyone know the wattage of the panel?

If anyone else has used the Waka, or has another suggestion for me let me know, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BreakAes View Post
                It does look like the Suntactics is a good unit and would probably offer more power, but maybe the Waka Waka would work for me. It looks very compact. I emailed the company, but does anyone know the wattage of the panel?

If anyone else has used the Waka, or has another suggestion for me let me know, thanks.
                It looks like the waka has a 0.75W solar cell.
                Also I see the waka has a one year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by solarIdiot View Post
                  It looks like the waka has a 0.75W solar cell.
                  Also I see the waka has a one year warranty.
                  Thanks, I read somewhere that the Power version has special upgrades (other than the charging capability) compared to the light only version, but I'm not sure if they upgraded the cell. I can't seem to find where I read that now. It takes 3 AAs so I should be able to upgrade the battery capacity. I know they did a battery capacity upgrade for the Kickstarter backers.

I also found this after scouring all the Kickstarter solar entries: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ered-electrics It's cool, but it seems like the Waka is more hassle free, and maybe more efficient. I also want the ability to hang the panel from my backpack when hiking, and I'm not sure if they sell something that will hold the squares connected to each other. I did email the company.

My CC company will add another year onto the warranty, so that'll give me 2 years. I feel pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Waka Waka Power. They claim it's the most efficient solar light in the world, and that will come in handy when camping, along with the charging ability and battery pack for devices.

Regarding my other question, no one knows of an adapter for USB to wall socket or car cigarette lighter socket, so I can power the battery charger? I know there are plenty in reverse, but I've never seen one that does what I need.

Comment

If you do get one of those let us know how it works, I like everything but the name.
                    As far as that adapter I came up with nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by solarIdiot View Post
                      As far as that adapter I came up with nothing.

A problem with such an adapter is that the USB standard specifies 5 volts and a maximum of either 900A or 2.1A with proper negotiation. Converting that to 120AC would require a very small, very efficient inverter, not just an adapter. And converting it to 12 volts DC at up to .4A would be a problem too. The lower limit on current from a standards-compliant USB source is 100ma, which would not be able to power much of anything at 120AC or at 12DC.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                        A problem with such an adapter is that the USB standard specifies 5 volts and a maximum of either 900A or 2.1A with proper negotiation. Converting that to 120AC would require a very small, very efficient inverter, not just an adapter. And converting it to 12 volts DC at up to .4A would be a problem too. The lower limit on current from a standards-compliant USB source is 100ma, which would not be able to power much of anything at 120AC or at 12DC.
                        Well there you go.

Thanks Inetdog I have learned a ton from you regulars.

Comment

Working...
                        X