X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uptheground
    • Jan 2013

a problem that is costing me money

Hello:
    I have a charging problem, and is as follows, for a time the charge controller reads a very high voltage (28, 29, 30V) and very low current (6 amps) on a sunny day between 11am and 1pm, in normal operation under the same conditions of time between the voltage was 25V - 26V and the current from 18 to 20 amps. The biggest problem is when using some high amperage appliance does not operate as it should, and at night until the lights are weakened when multiple appliance being used at a time. Another thing is that I have damaged batteries lasted 2 years I now spend 2 or 3 months (very disturbing). Before starting the systema problem was working well for about 8 years. Trying to solve the problem, I changed all the wiring, from the battery bank to the wiring in coming from the solar panels.
    I also noticed that the charge controller remains too long in a PWM mode partly sunny day, but before this occurred when there was strong sunshine and after a long period.

This is my setup:

4 panels of 155W 24v SunWise
    fuse box
    Morning Star charge controller T-60
    Xantrex SW2524
    fuse and breaker of 100 amperes each
    bank of 4 batteries 12v group 27

If you need extra information will gladly give them to you.

Thanks in advance.

Jose
  • johngalt
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2012

Before starting the systema problem was working well for about 8 years.
    I'm a solar noob but have been troubleshooting other problems for years.

If the system worked as designed/expected for 8 years then my first question would be; "what changed?" Obviously something changed from your original design.

Is the controller no longer working to the original specs?

Are you now using a different battery type/capacity?

Are your panels damaged, dirty, losing capacity, etc? As I understand it, solar panels will loose output over time. Depending on the panels they may only put out 80% or less of their original specs after so many years.

I guess the bottom line is; "What changed or is different now than from 8 years ago?"

Obviously I can't answer that question for you but maybe it prompts you to go over each component and answer that question for yourself.

Good Luck!

Comment

• uptheground
      • Jan 2013

Thanks for such a quick reply. I will check out the entire list of recommendations that you give me and let you know then.

Thanks a lot and God bless.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by uptheground
        Hello:
        I have a charging problem, and is as follows, for a time the charge controller reads a very high voltage (28, 29, 30V) and very low current (6 amps) on a sunny day between 11am and 1pm, in normal operation under the same conditions of time between the voltage was 25V - 26V and the current from 18 to 20 amps. The biggest problem is when using some high amperage appliance does not operate as it should, and at night until the lights are weakened when multiple appliance being used at a time. Another thing is that I have damaged batteries lasted 2 years I now spend 2 or 3 months (very disturbing). Before starting the systema problem was working well for about 8 years. Trying to solve the problem, I changed all the wiring, from the battery bank to the wiring in coming from the solar panels.
        I also noticed that the charge controller remains too long in a PWM mode partly sunny day, but before this occurred when there was strong sunshine and after a long period.

Jose
        Most if not all of your symptoms could be caused by nearly dead batteries. Eight years is a long time to be using one set of batteries even in a well designed system.
        Check the specific gravity (SG) of the batteries with a temperature-compensated hydrometer. If it is low and cannot be raised by more charging, then your batteries are badly sulphated, have lost most of their original capacity and have high internal resistance as well.

Also check the voltage of each battery, looking for a shorted or open cell.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...