Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

If you were going with a 12 volt system, then, yes, 80 amp controller. with 24 volt not necessary
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• Revid
      • Dec 2023

Littleharbor2 can you explain?

Comment

• littleharbor2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Revid
        Littleharbor2 can you explain?
        Because 1620 watts divided by 29 volts (max charging voltage) is just over 55 amps.
        The same 1620 watts is over 110 amps at 14.5 volts. Meaning you will actually need TWO 60 amp controllers @ 12 volt system voltage.

On the same note @ 48 volt system voltage you would only need a 30 amp controller with those same panels.
        Last edited by littleharbor2; 12-19-2023, 07:25 PM.
        2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• BryceFreeman
          • Nov 2023

Leave a mark here as this thread is helpful to me. Thank you guys.

Comment

• chrisski
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2020

What is your wire size to the inverter?

By reading its either 10 AWG or 8 AWG. I have a 24 volt system and my wiring to the inverter is 4/0.

With a 3000 watt inverter, I think you are wise to go to 24 volts. IMO, 3000 watts constant is too much for a 24 volt system, but can be run at 2000 watts hours on end, but the 3000 watt inverter is sometimes needed to cover surge and get inductive loads like motors moving.

Does one or two panel cover your needs?

For planning without knowing your specific area of the world, I use two times the panel ratign for winter and five times the panel rating for summer, so for each panel 800 watt hours produced in the winter and 4000 watt hours produced in the summer. I also assume the system has 200 watt hours per day idle draw and a 300 watt inverter can use 500 watt hours if left on. Also, 6 of your batteries has 9000 watt hours.

This can cover what you want especially if you have built in extra batteries to get you through 1 or more cloudy days.

Comment

• Revid
              • Dec 2023

It’s presently 10 gauge going to inverter cause that’s what I was told in beginning with a 12 v system. Now Iam upgrading hence the questions so I get it right or better this time. I have 4 405w panels and about to buy inverter and controller. Some people say 60 a is big enough others say I need an 80!!! Iam getting a 3000 w pure sine inverter but now waiting on some advice on the controller.. local solar shop says 80 and after joining panels 2s2p I need to go to #8 wire. So looking around fora Y mc4 connector to go from 10 to 8 gauge on the single strand side.Just looking for advice and guidance. Thanks

Comment

• chrisski
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2020

Originally posted by Revid
                It’s presently 10 gauge going to inverter cause that’s what I was told in beginning with a 12 v system. Now Iam upgrading hence the questions so I get it right or better this time. I have 4 405w panels and about to buy inverter and controller. Some people say 60 a is big enough others say I need an 80!!! Iam getting a 3000 w pure sine inverter but now waiting on some advice on the controller.. local solar shop says 80 and after joining panels 2s2p I need to go to #8 wire. So looking around fora Y mc4 connector to go from 10 to 8 gauge on the single strand side.Just looking for advice and guidance. Thanks
                I recommend you stop planning and go into a research mode. It sounds like the people you’ve talked to have given some dangerous advice if 8 AWG is the only wire to the inverter.

Dangerous as in, “Oh no my trailer burnt down.”

Go through the stickies and read anything by Sunking and consider it gosphel. He leans on the conservative, safe side of a build.

Based of his advice, I built this 24 VDC build

/diysolarforum. com/ threads/rv-build-2-55-kw-panels-560-ah-24-v-lithium-battery.34020/

Comment

Working...