Off Grid Micro Inverter options in late 2023?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MangoCat
    • Oct 2023

Off Grid Micro Inverter options in late 2023?

I'm looking to install a panels + micro inverters + battery system to power a small workshop + office off grid - in North Florida. The panel site on roof gets sun 6+ hours a day, but there is some shading from mature (not getting any taller) trees that rolls off to the east in the morning and in from the west in the afternoon.

Initial needs will be small, starting with LED lights. Many of the power users have their own batteries: 24V hand tools, lightly ridden e-bikes, a 60V push mower. Then there are some intermittent 120VAC direct users: a light duty table saw, router, pancake air compressor, things like that. I'm thinking that I will start around 4kW of panels with a small battery / inverter like the Anker 757 just to gauge my real-life needs. Eventually, once I get a handle on how the initial system is working, I'd like to expand it to add a mini-split A/C around 18,000 BTU - not to run off battery much, just to cool (or, less often, heat) a small office, or possibly the whole 800 square feet of (well insulated) workshop while the sun is shining. If / as / when needed more panels might be added to bump up charging capacity, and battery capacity too if I find myself running an extension cord from the on-grid house 150' away too often...

So, from the inverters I will initially need 120VAC single phase, but North American 120/240 split phase would be good to support the A/C...

Due to the morning / afternoon shade, and my incremental expansion plans, I want a micro inverter based system.

What are the off-grid options in the market these days? Pros/cons vs the ubiquitous Enphase systems?

With Enphase (and others) can an off-grid system owner still access real-time panel level diagnostic/performance info?

I expect 1.2kWh of battery capacity will eventually become disappointing, like if I want to do much woodworking after 4pm... any AC coupled LiFePO4 (or other) battery system recommendations?

P.S.: yes, the 757 has its own solar panel inputs, battery charging system and inverter. No, I'm not planning on using those, just charging it from 120VAC and using 120VAC out of it - maybe sneak some 12V out of its "car charger" port for LED lights, but otherwise it's planned to be used 120 in / 120 out. And so, the roof panels + microinverters would be supplying AC only...
    Last edited by MangoCat; 10-17-2023, 09:26 AM.
  • SamirD
    • Oct 2023

Originally posted by MangoCat
    With Enphase (and others) can an off-grid system owner still access real-time panel level diagnostic/performance info?
    I can't help you with any of your other questions, but I think I know the answer to this one at least for Enphase systems--yes you can access both the gateway and enphase's cloud data as long as you have Internet access. The gateway access doesn't require Internet access, but the cloud will since the gateway needs to send the data to the cloud before you can see it. I don't think this should change with an off-grid system as they typically are using the same gateway and cloud accesses.

Comment

Working...