Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexB
    • Jul 2023

Inverter to battery fuse/breaker

My application is an off grid shed for a small workshop. System will be running lights and small appliances, small TV etc, that equal to less the 500watts with a max of 1kw maybe for a very short term.

I chose a 3kw inverter because it was the smallest unit that I could find that could be hardwired. The battery is an SOK 12V 200AH with a BMS limited output to 100amps.

My question is could I run an 80amp breaker to prevent the inverter from causing the BMS to actuate in an overdraw situation? I'm looking for a solution that would be output limiting. I understand there is a penalty in the form of larger inverter power consumption with an oversized inverter. Usually, it is recommended to use an inverter that is smaller than the batteries output. I could add another battery, but I'm only running 400w of panels.

I have the room to scale up to 800w of panels and add another battery. Then I could run 24V to another inverter. The issue is finding an inverter that meets the requirements below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inverter requirements.

1500-2kw output
    ability to be hardwired.
    not internally bonded.
    Last edited by AlexB; 07-31-2023, 06:57 PM.
  • AzSun
    • May 2011

It depends on how fast the BMS responds to an overload. Circuit breakers do necessarily trip at their rating. There is a delay based on how much the overload is. You could overload the 80 amp breaker at over 100 amps for many seconds before it would trip. The BMS may or may not respond quicker. Being that you should have a fuse or breaker between the battery and inverter anyway, you could try it out. Before doing this, make sure all the wiring, terminals, and connections between the battery and the inverter are appropriately sized for the breaker you install.

Comment

Working...