• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Feenster
    • May 2019

MPPSolar PIP5048

Hello all,
    Looking for a bit of help.
    I bought a PIP4048 from MPPSolar many years ago and bought a new PIP5048 just recently.

I live off-grid and have a generator for back up.

Recently I replaced the PIP4048 with the new PIP5048.

The PIP5048 worked well until I started to turn on the trip switches on the fuse board for the house. Many of them kept tripping. For example, when I turned on the trip switch for the kitchen as soon as the 'fridge turned on the trip switch fell. At first it was only the circuits with a 'fridge or freezer or small motor that tripped. Then, on another circuit, someone in the house turned on a small laptop and a trip occurred on that circuit.

This never happened with the PIP4048. I had to put the PIP4048 back in again as I couldn't function with the 5048.

MPPSolar support is very slow getting back to me.

Any ideas on the cause, please?

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

It has been a day without any response. I am not familiar with MPP inverters. Maybe try a forum with more MPP users.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• littleharbor2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ampster
      It has been a day without any response. I am not familiar with MPP inverters. Maybe try a forum with more MPP users.
      DIY Solar forum. You may get replies within minutes.
      2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I looked at both the 4048 and 5048 pieces of equipment and I feel there might be some voltage or phase output differences that could cause the tripping. But that is just a quick overview glance. I would suggest finding someone that has experience with those models and see if they are compatible for the same system.

Comment

• Feenster
          • May 2019

Thank you for your help. I will have a look at DIY Solar forum. Thanks.

Comment

• Feenster
            • May 2019

Just an update! (no feedback from DIY solar forum)
            As I mentioned above MPPSolar support was very slow getting back to me. But they did eventually respond to say: Our RD suspect that it is the problem of the size of breaker you are using. (Probably the size of your breaker is too small).

I did think that this could be the problem initially but didn't want to go changing the breakers to find that it didn't solve the problem. Even now, after the response of MPPSolar support, I am still not sure.
            The PIP4048 (the inverter/charger that I have used for the last 7 years) - 4kW inverter with a surge capacity of twice that.
            The PIP5048 (the new inverter/charger that is cause of my problems) - 5kW inverter with a surge capacity of twice that.

The breakers are all 20 Amp breakers. The problem arises on the circuits that have a 'fridge, freezer, etc.
            Is the following the case? When a 'fridge turns on all that the PIP4048 can give is 8kW surge and no more. The 20A breaker is okay with that. However, with the PIP5048, when a 'fridge turns there is a possible surge of 10kW - enough perhaps to trip the 20A breaker. Is that reasonable?

Comment

• littleharbor2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

I notice the timing of your posts on DIY is in the wee hours of the morning I have a feeling they are getting buried by other posts overnight. I'll bump your post and see if it brings any responses
              2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Working...