Net metering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net metering

I just installed a ground mount solar system. 28 390w panels , 14 Chilicon microinverters. I am an advid DIY'er , and this is my first solar system.
    I used a local electrical contractor to install the home run to the 200amp service panel at the residence.

The wholesaler I bought the system from provided sealed drawings for the system including footer / structure details , and home run specifications.

When I inquired about a permit with my county , I was told they were 4 to 6 weeks out for issuing permits.

Long story short , I built everything according to specs , and proceeded without a permit.

When I applied for a net meter from my electric company , it required that a electrical contractor , or licensed solar contractor test the system , and sign off

I contacted my Electrical contractor , but he said he didn't feel comfortable signing it , because he didn't know how to properly test it. Mind you , they did say they did final hookups for solar upon my initial inquiry.

I contacted a few licensed solar installers , but they didn't want to get involved.

I initially wanted to do off grid , but wanted to " wait , and see" about the battery technology , and tie to the grid for a few years.

Now that may be my only option.

Any opinions about how to proceed?

Originally posted by hardbluesteel8457 View Post
    I just installed a ground mount solar system. 28 390w panels , 14 Chilicon microinverters. I am an advid DIY'er , and this is my first solar system.
    I used a local electrical contractor to install the home run to the 200amp service panel at the residence.

The wholesaler I bought the system from provided sealed drawings for the system including footer / structure details , and home run specifications.

When I inquired about a permit with my county , I was told they were 4 to 6 weeks out for issuing permits.

Long story short , I built everything according to specs , and proceeded without a permit.

When I applied for a net meter from my electric company , it required that a electrical contractor , or licensed solar contractor test the system , and sign off

I contacted my Electrical contractor , but he said he didn't feel comfortable signing it , because he didn't know how to properly test it. Mind you , they did say they did final hookups for solar upon my initial inquiry.

I contacted a few licensed solar installers , but they didn't want to get involved.

I initially wanted to do off grid , but wanted to " wait , and see" about the battery technology , and tie to the grid for a few years.

Now that may be my only option.

Haste make waste. Sorry I just had to say that.

Where are you located. That might help others help you find an electrical contractor make the test and possibly get you a permit quicker. Although there will probably be a cost.

Comment

To get some value out of your system you may be able to configure the micros for zero export.
      Depending on where you are located there may be other solutions. How are the Net Metering rules where you live? That will tell you the opportunity cost of not getting a Net Metering System and the value that you may recover by adding battery storage. The only other storage medium that might be economic is heating water. From an efficiency perspective natural gas or propane are the most efficient but since your costs are already invested, electric heating of water could help you recover some sunk costs.

Tell us your consumption in kWhs and the electrical rates and that will help us evaluate alternatives.
      Last edited by Ampster; 05-15-2022, 02:34 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Hernando county, Florida.
        The electric company is WREC. It's a co-op , and they settle up once a year . At that time , they determine the rate. I forget the exact number , but when I checked last it was lower than other power companies. They also have a $35 monthly minimum. So , not great anyway.

I'll get back to you on the specific data.

I was researching Sol Ark inverters. If I read correctly , you can be grid tied without using the Net meter. So , you use grid power after your storage is depleted. Did I get that right?

Comment

I was researching Sol Ark inverters. If I read correctly , you can be grid tied without using the Net meter. So , you use grid power after your storage is depleted. Did I get that right?
          SolArk are good hybrid inverters. I do not think there is a model below $5,000. There are others which have less capacity for around $3,000. I use an Outback Skybox which was originally $5,000 and can now be found for around $3,000. The SolArk does not have much more AC coupling capacity than the Skybox. Also you would need to make sure your existing micros are UL1741SA compliant or at least UL1741 compliant so they could be AC coupled to a grid forming inverter like the Skybox or SolArk. Yes they can both be configured to Net Zero. In that configuration they are connected to the grid to get the 60 Hz signal but do not allow export. The energy goes to the loads and to charge the batteries.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Hernando county, Florida.
            The electric company is WREC. It's a co-op , and they settle up once a year . At that time , they determine the rate. I forget the exact number , but when I checked last it was lower than other power companies. They also have a $35 monthly minimum. So , not great anyway.

I'll get back to you on the specific data.

I too live in Hernando County and have WREC as my POCO. My last bill showed a rate of about $0.0.9/kwh for the first 1000kwh and a little higher for anything above that values. I consume about 2200 kwh a month which is calculating out to a 12 year ROI if my install is at $2/watt which is much lower then the prices I have gotten.

I would be interested in what you end up doing and how much is costs you.

I also can't find a contractor to do some of the work without them doing it all which again makes an install very costly.

Comment

Looks like a hybrid inverter may be the answer then . I was thinking if using the Simpliphi battery system. I can purchase the system from the same wholesaler.

Any opinions on battery systems?
              Lead acid not worth the hassle?

At this point I would be happy to just charge my EV. The level 2 charger draws about 30 amps for 6 hours , and I charge 3 times a week.

​​​​​I'll keep looking for a licensed solar contractor ,or electric contractor that may assist.

Comment

Looks like a hybrid inverter may be the answer then . I was thinking if using the Simpliphi battery system. I can purchase the system from the same wholesaler.
                SimplPhi are well regarded batteries that have coordinated settings with Outback and possibly others. Last time I looked they cost about $1,000 per kWh. It may depend on your DIY skills and desire to involve yourself in the details. Other rack system batteries like EG4 also have built in BMS and are around $350 per kWh. I did my DIY pack for less than $150 per kWh but I already had the BMS and a lot of the other items to assemble a large pack.
                Any opinions on battery systems?
                Lead acid not worth the hassle?

At this point I would be happy to just charge my EV. The level 2 charger draws about 30 amps for 6 hours , and I charge 3 times a week.

Yes, I am a big fan of Lithium batteries and specifically LifePO4 or LFP. They offer low maintenance, better efficiency and long life if used conservatively. I would not use the battery pack to charge an EV because it would add unnecessary wear and tear on the stationary battery pack. It may depend on your rate plan and your circumstances whether is is more productive to charge at night or during the day from solar.
                Last edited by Ampster; 05-16-2022, 06:08 PM.

Comment

So , better to charge during the day to avoid cycling the batteries too deep.
                  I should be able to get away charging only once or twice a week during the evening. Or just use level 3 adapter (110v) overnight to get me the range I need for the next day.
                  I'm learning.
                  Thanks again for the responses.

If I invest in lithium batteries now , I'm afraid in 2 years there is going to be a big technological advance in battery storage.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Definitely a chunk of money.

Comment

If I invest in lithium batteries now , I'm afraid in 2 years there is going to be a big technological advance in battery storage.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Definitely a chunk of money.
                    If there was a big tech logical advance on the horizon, BYD, LG Chem, CATL, Samsung, Panasonic or Tesla would already be building a factory for it and us consumers would only be able to buy factory seconds. Also based on current inflationary trends and material shortages, I would not hold my breath that prices per kWh will get below $150 per kWh for raw cells.

It is a big chunk of money now but will your dollar be worth much more in two years. How much can you save on energy in two years?
                    Last edited by Ampster; 05-19-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

If I invest in lithium batteries now , I'm afraid in 2 years there is going to be a big technological advance in battery storage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
                      That has been a risk for, oh, 30 years or so now. The big change was the recent change from lead acid as the "standard" to LFP/lithium-ion driven largely by the Powerwall and other turnkey solutions.

If you want batteries and they make financial sense for you, go for it. LFP's work well enough and last long enough that they are pretty good deals, and by the time they wear out (thousands of cycles from now) something new might be coming along.

Comment

Working...
                      X