Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A gamechanger: An easy way to see battery voltage over a network is now possible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gamechanger: An easy way to see battery voltage over a network is now possible.

I am extremely happy today because after 10 years of waiting I have bought a simple piece of electronics that will measure the battery voltage and publish it on a micro web server.
    I don't know why it has taken so long for someone to develop this. It has been possible with some some charge controllers but never just a simple standalone solution.

Just about everyone would benefit from having their battery voltage available wherever they are.

The company that makes it is in the Slovak Republic. I am in the EU so it was easy to ship it to me. Supposedly they would ship to the US.

Here is a link.
    http://www.digital-measure.com/

Here is how I am using it:
    I have given the device a fixed IP address.
    It also has a DDNS function so that it can be viewed over the WAN as well as the LAN.
    I have a synology device that has php installed. (you could also install php on an old smartphone)
    I just wrote a very simple program in PHP to open the xml feed and hey presto I have the voltage appearing on a web page.

I can now dump my excess power to a water heater element.

By the way:
    This is also very easy:
    Sonoff mini now have a DIY mode which allows you to very easily flash the sonoff device over wifi with tasmota which allows you to send simple on off commands using a simple URL
    The commands can be sent according to the voltage by the same php script using CURL

I now have full control. Haleluya!!
    This is a game changer!!

NOW THE QUESTION:

I have about 1500 watts of solar panels.
    My hot water heating element is 500 watts.
    My battery system is lead acid 24 volts .

What voltage should I use for dumping the power.
    I thought that maybe on at 28.5 and off at 27.5
    Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also I have been told that charge controllers do a special charge every 3 weeks or so when they allow the voltage to go up to 30ish to equalise the cells.
    If I have my system running this will never happen.
    Should I have one day a week or a month when I let the charge controller do the special charge.
    How long does the special charge take?

Fortunately my Orion BMS has that feature and more. I agree it is useful to be able to see critical data remotely when you are away from the site.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
      Fortunately my Orion BMS has that feature and more. I agree it is useful to be able to see critical data remotely when you are away from the site.
      The Orion BMS has CANdapter – CANBUS to USB Adapter.

It is a gamechanger because it is a device independent standalone system which just needs a connection to a battery.
      The voltage information can be accessed over any network with a simple web server and is not dependent on an app made by a manufacturer.

The point of this is to be able to develop systems to dump power to other things when the battery is full.

Comment

People on my facebook off grid group have been answering the question and not saying odd things like "duplicate"
        This is the sort of answer I was hoping for.

In my Axpert the equalization takes at least 60 minutes, and uses a voltage as high as 29.2, and does this every 30 days or so.

Comment

Working...
        X