Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thereverend
    • Apr 2022

3500 Kw System

I am wondering what type of setup I would need to provide I want to be 100% off grid but want to be able to afford it too. Can someone tell me what setup I would need to make this happen and what something like this might cost me. I do use about 3500 Kw per month in the winter so I would need something that can handle that when needed. Thank you all in advance
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

The normal first step is to analyse your power consumption. Then to figure out how much you can reduce your power consumption. Once we get down to the bare minimum that you honestly need, then we can discuss the next steps.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Thereverend
      I am wondering what type of setup I would need to provide I want to be 100% off grid but want to be able to afford it too. Can someone tell me what setup I would need to make this happen and what something like this might cost me. I do use about 3500 Kw per month in the winter so I would need something that can handle that when needed. Thank you all in advance
      Some basic costs for an off grid system is about $1500/kWh it can safely deliver each day. Not cheap but it has been done by others although being able to afford a system like that is questionable.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Since you're asking, you'll need a much bigger system than you'll be able to have designed and built. Start your education with a free PDF download of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies".

Then, know that a 3,500 kWh (not Kw) per month load is first of all, quite high and second, not something that an off grid system is likely to provide for anything approaching an affordable price, specially in the winter. Then there is system maintenance. Get ready for more than a parttime job babysitting the batteries.

Next step will be to understanding why an off grid system that will do what you want is in all likelihood impractical if possible at all if for no other reasons than price and required maintenance.

After that, as Organic Farmer suggests, get a handle on your loads. FWIW, a typical and realistic off grid system is usually sized for a load of maybe about 5 - 15 kWh/day usage with a battery sized for something like maybe 2-4 days of daily usage and not discharging the battery more than maybe 50 % or so.

Educate yourself before you do anything else. The Good Lord helps those who help themselves.

Welcome to the neighborhood

Comment

• organic farmer
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2013

One thing all the experts forget to tell you. A battery bank requires an 'equalize charge' done every quarter. Solar panels by their design can not provide continuous power for 48 hours. So a system focused on using solar power as the only power source, can never perform the normal required maintenance on the batteries. This cuts battery life expectancy by half.

I am in the middle of this exact scenario.

My first battery bank died early because I could not do routine 'equalize charge's. Now I have my second battery bank, and I still do not have a method to do an 'equalize charge'.

For solar-power to work at the peak functionality that everyone visualizes, you need to be able to produce power for two days continuously, once every 3 months, to be able to maintain your equipment at peak performance and life-expectancy.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• peakbagger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2010

I would recommend the book Solar Power your home for Dummies to begin with so you have the basics down. The reason I suggest it is you made a fairly common mistake in your posting. 3500 KW is an instantaneous rate of power generation, for most folks you figure out how many KW hours you will need on a monthly basis and then from there depending on your location and type of panel mounting will figure out how big of an array sized in KW you will need.

Its getting a bit late but once you have done the numbers there are very good deals to be had on the auctioned off inventory of a large firm that went bankrupt still on the market that built mobile solar power plants. The auctions are long since over but a lot of them got in the hands of folks who got a good deal but really did not need or understand them and are reselling. Look up DC Solar on youtube and there are many videos. They are a potentially plug and play off solar grid systems on a trailer with a backup diesel. The parts are worth more than the typical selling cost and can be a good option to build a system around. The downside with the trailers is the large forklift batteries that came with them were not necessarily maintained properly (most were not) and now 3 to 5 years old, therefore if they are still functional they may not have long life or full capacity.. Few sellers really have the time or motivation to keep the batteries charged and maintained. Still if even the batteries are marginal if you get the trailer for the right price, its components are still very high quality and a very good base for a system.

The big thing to remember is like any solar installation you had better plan to be the engineer/mechanic as the number of folks that are able to diagnose and repair these systems on a commercial basis are slim to none. There is rarely the option to call someone to fix it. Few folks have the skill and background and the voltages and amperages needed are hazardous for the typical DIYer. This applies to the trailers as well as something you build out of bits and pieces.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

I am wondering what type of setup I would need to provide I want to be 100% off grid but want to be able to afford it too. Can someone tell me what setup I would need to make this happen and what something like this might cost me. I do use about 3500 Kw per month in the winter so I would need something that can handle that when needed.
              I am doing some of that, keeping 2 buildings conditioned year around,
              without buying any energy. Here at 42 latitude (Northern IL), consumption
              hits 3500 KHhour a month, and even more if it is really cold. It works
              using the latest technology, inverter variable speed compressor Heat
              Pumps, to multiply my energy effectiveness several times. A ground
              mount solar array to generate the needed 28,000 KWhours a year
              uses over 100 panels.

Unfortunately most generation occurs in the hottest months, but most
              consumption occurs in the coldest months. Storing this quantity of
              energy for this period of time, is entirely outside the capability of practical
              batteries. So I contract Net Metering at a cost of around $200 a year. I
              use my Power Company as an infinite capacity, 100% efficient, zero cost
              and maintenance, battery. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...