Turning off the Sunny Island battery charger, using an external charger?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • checkthisout
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Fingers
    So you have an SMA inverter charger and one of the transfer switches shown above?

Comment

• Fingers
      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by checkthisout

Your charger won't charge lipo4 properly simply because it's voltage settings are too low. It will still charge, just not fully.
      I'm going to have to look in to that. Not fully is better for the life of lifepo4, apparently.

What battery setting would you choose? Lithium?

Comment

• Fingers
        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by checkthisout

So you have an SMA inverter charger and one of the transfer switches shown above?
        Yes I bought it for a Chinese inverter that I was going to use, but couldn't due to the damp environment. Which is why I went for the SMA as it's sealed.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

What battery setting would you choose? Lithium?
          I only charge my LFP pack to a voltage that corresponds to 3.45V per cell. Generic settings are too vague for me. The terms manufacturers use are also too ambiguous. Current and voltage suit my scientific way of thinking better.
          Even the term Lithium could mean NMC at 3.7 or LFP at 3.2 nominal voltage.
          Last edited by Ampster; 01-19-2022, 08:22 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Fingers
            • Jul 2021

I'm guessing you would do that at the bms? What voltage ect would you use from your controller?

Comment

• checkthisout
              • Mar 2019

I'm guessing you would do that at the bms? What voltage ect would you use from your controller?
              I got a notification so Ill respond but you have yet to show us what model or type of anything you have other than the transfer switch. It becomes an exercise in frustration to help when you're not providing the proper info. You don't go into the auto parts store and say you need an air filter for a car, you tell them the year, make and model and any features the vehicle is equipped with.

There are probably 1000 different brands and models of charge controllers etc and of course 10's of thousands of combinations of batteries in every chemistry and their respective settings and such.

Nobody can help you until they know what they are helping you with.

Comment

• Fingers
                • Jul 2021

It's a general question. I do not have the batteries or charge controller for this system yet. If I had my system up and running I wouldn't need to ask.
                I'm new to this stuff. I have had the same answer three times from folks, "I'd use this volt for each cell", but what do they use to get the correct voltage, the bms? No ones saying. And getting the power from the controller (any controller) as controllers do not state lifepo4 we must assume we have to choose for our own voltage. But I don't know what that is as no ones saying.

Comment

• checkthisout
                  • Mar 2019

It's a general question. I do not have the batteries or charge controller for this system yet. If I had my system up and running I wouldn't need to ask.
                  I'm new to this stuff. I have had the same answer three times from folks, "I'd use this volt for each cell", but what do they use to get the correct voltage, the bms? No ones saying. And getting the power from the controller (any controller) as controllers do not state lifepo4 we must assume we have to choose for our own voltage. But I don't know what that is as no ones saying.
                  Sounds good.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

No, I only use the BMS as a last resort fail safe. All the voltage and current settings that control charging are in my inverter. It is an All In One so I am referring to the charge controller section of the inverter
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

The battery BMS is intended to be a last ditch safeguard against damaging the battery from over or under charge. All regular settings should be set in the charger device.

following is a conservative example for larger LFP prismatic cells configured to a 48v nominal bank

Charge setpoints Discharge setpoints.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Fingers
                        • Jul 2021

Ah ha, got it. Thank you for the info.
                        I bet your chargers are pretty special bits of kit, and I suppose my Epever Tracer 5415an 50amp that I have just bought is a pile of dung ?
                        I have bought so much kit and got it wrong, look out ebay.

Comment

Working...