Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DougR
    • Aug 2021

New to off grid world

Hello all, I am new to off grid and this forum. Please be patient with me. My experience is with grid tie. I got talked into installing off grid for my neighbor. First let me say, I am in Mexico and all literature on the inverter is in Spanish and I can’t find a English version of the manual. Thankfully, numbers are universal. Here’s the problem - I have a data shield IS3000 inverter MPPT, China! I have four Trina 415M panels. I have eight Cale 12VDC 150 Ahr AGM batteries. Using specified input maximum values I connected the panels in series/parallel for an output of 90 Vdc. Good so far. Max input from batteries to inverter is 24 Vdc so series/parallel again. No the problems again. Before I started, I checked the health of the batteries because they had been stored in clean environment for 16 months. Average battery value was 24V. After consulting with the company they directed me to their local dealer for recovery. One bad battery which they replaced. After all was installed flipped the switch for 24V in, PV in and 120 out with main breaker in 120V open at house panel. All was good except no 120Vac. I have checked the programming manual and find no programming for 120Vac out. Thanks to Google translate. Virtually no tech support on the inverter as is customary with China products. I’m not an amateur in the world of touchy tingles so any suggestions. Did I mention, I’m retired and don’t have anything else to do! Comments, please, doug
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello DougR and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I am not sure why your system is not working correctly. Sometimes the issue is a wiring problem and sometimes an equipment problem or both.

One question I have is that you mentioned your batteries are 12V AGM type yet you then stated the Average battery was 24V. This may have been a typo or something is wrong with your batteries and how they are wired.

Please check again to make sure they are wired correctly. Also understand that when you have multiple batteries wired in parallel they may not charge and discharge equally.

Also if you can provide a wiring diagram of your system it may help to identify the problem

Oh last issue is that inverter/charger may be a grid tie hybrid so it could be shut down looking for the grid before it works. There may be a way to get it to work by throwing a switch or programing it for off grid to charge the batteries.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 09-06-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• DougR
      • Aug 2021

Thanks sun eagle for your reply. Response follows. In the interest of brevity I cut my narrative short. I have 8 12V batteries. Two batteries in series for four pairs in parallel to provide the 24V inverter input. On the comment regarding the batteries. When I had them checked by the local Cale battery outlet they individually showed an average of 13.1Vs. Sorry for the error. Your last issue is exactly where I am at present. Yes, it is a hybrid. It has provision for Grid input (power company, generator, etc.). The problem with that is my inability to properly translate using Google translate. So I am having trouble finding the proper programming step to possibly solve the problem. My observations thus far lead me to believe that most programming step overlap, company to company. Do you have issue with that thinking. We have found over our years here that most translations are not literal. As for uploading a wiring diagram, I have tried every method I can and I always get an error uploading notice. So here is my narrative - series parallel for 90 Vdc+/- to PV in on inverter, eight 12VDC, 150Ahr rated, wired series parallel for 24 Vdc batt in to inverter. I’m sorry, that is the best I can do at this time. I will continue to work on sending the wiring diagram. Thanks for your input.
      doug

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DougR
        Thanks sun eagle for your reply. Response follows. In the interest of brevity I cut my narrative short. I have 8 12V batteries. Two batteries in series for four pairs in parallel to provide the 24V inverter input. On the comment regarding the batteries. When I had them checked by the local Cale battery outlet they individually showed an average of 13.1Vs. Sorry for the error. Your last issue is exactly where I am at present. Yes, it is a hybrid. It has provision for Grid input (power company, generator, etc.). The problem with that is my inability to properly translate using Google translate. So I am having trouble finding the proper programming step to possibly solve the problem. My observations thus far lead me to believe that most programming step overlap, company to company. Do you have issue with that thinking. We have found over our years here that most translations are not literal. As for uploading a wiring diagram, I have tried every method I can and I always get an error uploading notice. So here is my narrative - series parallel for 90 Vdc+/- to PV in on inverter, eight 12VDC, 150Ahr rated, wired series parallel for 24 Vdc batt in to inverter. I’m sorry, that is the best I can do at this time. I will continue to work on sending the wiring diagram. Thanks for your input.
        doug

I understand your system better. I still think there is some type of programming necessary for that inverter to charge the batteries and not look for the grid. All I can offer is for you to look for a manual that is in a language that you understand or find someone local that is familiar with that inverter to determine what needs to be done to it to make it work.

Comment

• DougR
          • Aug 2021

All I can say is I’m glad I don’t need off grid for electricity. My 20 panel grid tie system with Enphase micro inverters works like a dream and lets me know every day how I’m doing. I’ll get his problem solved one way or another. Thanks for your time and advice. Doug

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DougR
            All I can say is I’m glad I don’t need off grid for electricity. My 20 panel grid tie system with Enphase micro inverters works like a dream and lets me know every day how I’m doing. I’ll get his problem solved one way or another. Thanks for your time and advice. Doug
            Great. Keep us informed on what is happening and if you discover anything that we can help you with.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

If files are too large, they won't upload. Lower the resolution or DPI of your pic's , they should up load .
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DougR
                • Aug 2021

Here is the file I tried to send yesterday. Hope this helps. EF30CFEE-9CDF-41E6-8784-195D6C3C97BF.jpeg

Comment

Working...