Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradmck
    • Jun 2013

DC powered PoE network switch

I apologize if this has been asked before - I did try searching but just Poe didn't work and adding switch gives me tons of results. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with a PoE capable network switch that can run off DC? We currently run on a generator but I'm about to invest in a battery bank which will get solar panels hooked up at some point. I'd like to find a decent switch that can run off the battery bank without running an inverter. I'm considering both 24 and 48v battery banks but have been leaning to 48. The switch needs to be able to power maybe 3 cameras and a couple of access points.

• Mike90250
    • May 2009

Regardless of the switch / router / hub you will have to convert your battery voltage to the required voltage for the PoE gear. Because of the wide swing of solar voltage to the battery
    (23V - 30V) simply getting a 24V router would not be enough, you will need a DC-DC voltage converter that can supply the required amps.
    The higher voltage devices can power over longer distances. Make sure your camera/AP uses the same PoE voltage as your router.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

I think you should determine what you want to power (which cameras, which hubs/switches).
      That will give you what number of ports you need.
      And how much power per port you will need.
      And what voltage you need (do you want the standard PoE (802.3af or 802.3at ) at 48V, or the "24V passive" that is used by some like Ubiquiti.

Then look at PoE switches that can supply that. There are many options - switches with 4 PoE ports, switches with 4 PoE+4 unpowered, switches with 8 PoE ports. etc.
      Once you have your requirements you start looking at what equipment fits those requirements. There are quire a few equipment options for the 4-8 port PoE switches. Vast majority of them take a DC input from a separate power supply brick. Looking at them, I see many at 54V or 53.5V - so if you wind up with one of those, you'll need a power supply that can take your battery voltage and supply a constant 54V to the switch. That isolated DC/DC converter will probably cost another $60 - but that's cheaper than an inverter to supply the power brick that came with the switch.

Comment

Working...