Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McDubsy
    • Jul 2021

Generator backup wiring

I've browsed through this form and have not found this question answered. If it is I apologize for the redundancy please point me in the right direction.

I have a 2,000 w solar system.
    I am looking to add a backup generator. I would like the generator to be wired with two wire Auto on and off functionality.

My question is, can most electric push-button-start generators be wired this way, or do I need a specific brand/model?

Thanks.

-McDubsy
    Last edited by McDubsy; 07-27-2021, 08:27 PM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

From what I have read and heard you will need a generator that is specially designed so it can be remote started or modify the circuitry of a manual start one with relays and I presume sensor that looks for the grid being down.

Comment

• McDubsy
      • Jul 2021

Thanks.

In my situation. We are off grid. So I need something to kick my generator on when the batteries get low and then turn it off then they are charged.

I've seen quite a few remote start capable models. I'll look into that a bit more.
      Any ideas how to adapt that to my needs?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by McDubsy
        Thanks.

In my situation. We are off grid. So I need something to kick my generator on when the batteries get low and then turn it off then they are charged.

I've seen quite a few remote start capable models. I'll look into that a bit more.
        Any ideas how to adapt that to my needs?
        Again IMO you will need to look for a gen set that will automatically start and stop based on battery voltage. Modifying an existing generator that is not set up for remote or auto start will most definitely break any warranty you have on it.

Maybe look into the Generic or Cummins home generators and see if they make one that will work for your system.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Being off-grid requires 2 things.
          1) some device in your system that will signal the generator that it's time to run & then shut it off
          2) a generator capable of pairing with the generator controller.

Larger setups often have a charge controller that can signal the generator, or the inverter can. If neither, you need a item called a generator control module that can be added in to your system.

Larger inverters often require a 240V capable generator

For the Schneider Electric XW series
          Conext Automatic Generator Start activates or stops the generator in response to changes in battery voltage, state of charge or grid power.

Google "Automatic Generator Start" and you get lots of hits, chose the one best for you.

Personally - I do not like auto start generators. You tend to forget about them, and the system goes through it's
          monthly exercise and then you forget to maintain it, and something dies and you don't know till the next outage

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...