Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC and AC parallel circuits - can AC ground wire double as DC negative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC and AC parallel circuits - can AC ground wire double as DC negative?

Hi all,

I'm running both 48VDC power (from battery bank) and 120VAC power (from inverter) to load distribution panels in a shipping container located 40 feet away. The 48VDC will be converted to 12VDC via a buck converter at the shipping container prior to the branch circuits, and then distributed to DC refrigerator, lighting, and USB outlets. The 120VAC will be used for a split system and a few outlets.

I've been reading about grounding/bonding, circuit protection, and wire sizing until I'm crosseyed. For the DC run, I am planning on running 8awg from a 30A DC breaker at the battery bank to the 30A shipping container buck converter and 10awg from a 30A AC breaker at the inverter to the shipping container AC load dist panel. I'll be installing a ground rod at inverter/battery bank, to which the battery neg, inverter gnd, and inverter neutral will be bonded (plus solar charging and inverter equipment enclosures). Will also be installing a ground rod at the shipping container, which AC ground wire, 48VDC neg wire, and the shipping container itself will be bonded to (plus load dist panel enclosures). AC neutral and gnd will not be bonded at shipping container subpanel.

If this all sounds right so far, my questions are:

-Do I bond the shipping container 12VDC buck converter output negative to ground, in addition to the 48VDC negative? or instead of?

-Can the AC ground wire from the inverter to the shipping container also serve as the 48VDC negative wire between the battery bank DC circuit breaker and the shipping container buck converter? If so, can I run 4 conductors in a single conduit to the shipping container - one AC hot, one AC neutral, one 48VDC pos, and one AC gnd/48VDC neg? I assume, if the AC gnd wire can in fact double as DC neg, that one would need to be of a much larger size... 4awg?

-For the branch circuits in the shipping container - can the shipping container itself serve as the DC negative return path, and AC ground? Meaning, I just run a single conductor from 12VDC (+) to each DC end-use appliance/outlet (+) input, and then bond the appliance (-) to shipping container, and run AC hot and neutral to each AC appliance/outlet, and bond the appliance/outlet gnd to shipping container?

I'm almost certain that this doesn't stack up to code, so I'd love to know what code says - but also know that parallel DC and AC circuits is extremely uncommon, so would love to know the feasibility/safety of this beyond what the code says.

Many thanks to this forum community, the knowledge shared here is immensely helpful!
    Last edited by 7GD; 07-24-2021, 03:41 PM.

Typically, ground and AC neutral are bonded at the distribution panel. I don't know any technical reason why you can't bond them at the ground rod instead. It must be a single point.

You have two ground rods. Run a wire between them. You don't want to trust the earth to keep them at the same voltage.

I don't know if it is permitted to use a metal container as a negative common bus, but it seems like a very bad idea. Are containers engineered to be electrically conductive for 30A? I would trust a fat copper wire, because I know how to make excellent connection to copper wire. I don't know how to make good electrical connection to a shipping container (aluminum? steel? painted? oxidized?) and don't know if that connection will remain good with time.

That said, automobiles do use the body as an electrical return connection. So there is a way to do it reliably and safely. If your container and your connection style meets those same standards, it could be OK, but I wouldn't risk it.

High-current DC is especially dangerous because long wires are inductive and that inductance will keep the current flowing even if the connection deteriorates. That sustained current on a bad connection will result in an arc that could make things worse (worse connection, heat, fire, etc.) For the same reason, for your DC circuits, make sure that any electrical switch is DC rated. A conventional 120VAC wall switch is not safe for DC switching.

If this is a commercial enterprise and there will be workers walking around, you need to get a licensed electrician to sign off on the plans and build. Otherwise, you could be held liable if anything goes wrong, even if it isn't your fault. The courts don't appreciate it when you tell them that you got advice on grounding from some yahoo like me on a discussion group.

If it's a home experimental cold-fusion reactor or something similar, I guess you can do anything you like. But whether you hire an electrician or do the work yourself, many towns require a town official to inspect the installation before you apply power. Again hypothetically, if there is a fire and you want to have insurance covering it, they will insist on you showing them that the project was approved by an official.

Many years ago, my father ran a business. The business was only open during daylight hours, but he was required to have lighted EXIT signs so that burglars could safely exit at night. There's a reason for everything. It may not be a good reason, but there is a reason.

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed electrician. This is comments from a yahoo on the internet, not professional advice.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

I would keep the AC separate from the DC, if for nothing else, ease of troubleshooting. Check with the code inspector for your area, different cities/states have different codes and how they are interpreted.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

IMO it would be wise to separate the AC and DC wiring. The saving in extra wiring could easily be eaten up by the amount of time and effort to trouble shoot each circuit.

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone,

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
          You have two ground rods. Run a wire between them. You don't want to trust the earth to keep them at the same voltage.
          I was planning to run an 8awg ground wire, along with the hot and neutral wires, between the main panel and the subpanel at the shipping container. Is that sufficient?

That said, automobiles do use the body as an electrical return connection. So there is a way to do it reliably and safely. If your container and your connection style meets those same standards, it could be OK, but I wouldn't risk it.
          That was my thought, except that the shipping container has far more metal than an automobile. I figured that if a car chassis could handle that sort of amperage, a shipping container definitely could - if grounds were properly connected, of course? Your concern is noted!

for your DC circuits, make sure that any electrical switch is DC rated. A conventional 120VAC wall switch is not safe for DC switching.
          Noted!

Mike and SunEagle - would you mind sharing how this setup, of the AC ground wire between the AC panels also serving as the DC negative connection between the DC panels, would cause more of a troubleshooting headache? I'm not doubting you, just an amateur trying to understand and can't quite wrap my head around it!

I have one more question that I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks can help me wrap my head around. The inverter I'm using is the Magnum MS4448PAE... a 4400W 48VDC 120/240AC inverter (specs at link). The manual recommends a 30A dual-pole circuit breaker at the inverter output. If I'm understanding 120 vs 240 correctly, this means that each hot leg can still only supply, at most, 30A - correct? But if I run 240 to the shipping container subpanel, then I can supply 60amps total between the two legs to 120V circuits? Dividing 4400W by 120 = 36A though, so I don't really understand how this works. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there any benefit to running another conductor from the inverter to the shipping container subpanel to provide 240 if I only plan on having 120V circuits in the container.

Thanks again everyone, for your immensely valuable help.
          Last edited by 7GD; 07-25-2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7GD View Post
            Thanks for the replies thus far everyone,

I was planning to run an 8awg ground wire, along with the hot and neutral wires, between the main panel and the subpanel at the shipping container. Is that sufficient?

That was my thought, except that the shipping container has far more metal than an automobile. I figured that if a car chassis could handle that sort of amperage, a shipping container definitely could - if grounds were properly connected, of course? Your concern is noted!

Noted!

Mike and SunEagle - would you mind sharing how this setup, of the AC ground wire between the AC panels also serving as the DC negative connection between the DC panels, would cause more of a troubleshooting headache? I'm not doubting you, just an amateur trying to understand and can't quite wrap my head around it!

I have one more question that I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks can help me wrap my head around. The inverter I'm using is the Magnum MS4448PAE... a 4400W 48VDC 120/240AC inverter (specs at link). The manual recommends a 30A dual-pole circuit breaker at the inverter output. If I'm understanding 120 vs 240 correctly, this means that each hot leg can still only supply, at most, 30A - correct? But if I run 240 to the shipping container subpanel, then I can supply 60amps total between the two legs to 120V circuits? Dividing 4400W by 120 = 36A though, so I don't really understand how this works. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there any benefit to running another conductor from the inverter to the shipping container subpanel to provide 240 if I only plan on having 120V circuits in the container.

Thanks again everyone, for your immensely valuable help.
            Based on my history anytime I was in a troubleshooting mode I found it was easier to determine the issue if I kept the circuit simple. Using the same ground wire for both AC and DC circuits IMO complicates any troubleshooting. But I understand your desire to save some money by using the same ground wire for both systems.

Comment

To trouble shoot, you need to isolate. Sharing wires stops that. Los Angeles code in 2002 required DC wire in metal conduit.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

-Do I bond the shipping container 12VDC buck converter output negative to ground, in addition to the 48VDC negative? or instead of?
                Your choice. You can tie them together but sometimes stuff fails internally. It increases the possibility (though slim) of putting 48V in your 12V stuff.

-Can the AC ground wire from the inverter to the shipping container also serve as the 48VDC negative wire between the battery bank DC circuit breaker and the shipping container buck converter? If so, can I run 4 conductors in a single conduit to the shipping container - one AC hot, one AC neutral, one 48VDC pos, and one AC gnd/48VDC neg? I assume, if the AC gnd wire can in fact double as DC neg, that one would need to be of a much larger size... 4awg?
                Treat them as separate systems and run both an insulated DC negative wire and an insulated or bare A/C equipment ground wire. Run your ac and dc wire in different conduits between the structures.

-For the branch circuits in the shipping container - can the shipping container itself serve as the DC negative return path, and AC ground? Meaning, I just run a single conductor from 12VDC (+) to each DC end-use appliance/outlet (+) input, and then bond the appliance (-) to shipping container, and run AC hot and neutral to each AC appliance/outlet, and bond the appliance/outlet gnd to shipping container?
                l!
                No, keep them separate and don't bother trying to use the shipping container as an equipment or DC ground. The hassle of using paint-cutting screws, crimping ends etc will offset any little cost savings you might net in wiring.

In your case, why not just run an a/c refrigerator as well? They are often free on craigslist and you get way more choices in size. I would still run some DC to the container as you are doing because there is a lot of RV lighting you can use.

Your results will be fine but do us and yourself a favor and draw up a diagram instead of trying to think the whole thing through while maintaining a mental picture. It also give us something we can see and give feedback on.

Comment

Just to add, most buck DC-DC converters have the negative input and output leads
                  already tied together for operation. Isolated converters do not. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                  X