Adding more batteries to existing system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goodneighbor113
    • Jul 2021

Adding more batteries to existing system?

Hello,
    I have a professionally installed system using about 22x LG panels and 4x 48v 3.8kWh Simpliphi lithium batteries with Schneider equipment. The battery capacity is not enough to go through the night, but the panels are producing far more than enough during the day.

I am thinking of getting more batteries (same model) and installing a Midnite combiner box. The professionals will do it, but the cost will be almost double if I go that route, aside from the fact that the battery wiring they did before appears to be contrary to the manufacturer recommendations.

After reading the battery manual and combiner box manual it seems simple enough to do (I have wired a house and other things before so I have basic electrical knowledge), but I thought I would check to see what I am missing. I see to use the same size/length cable for all batteries, to connect all directly to the combiner, and I assume to fully charge all batteries before connecting and using. Can someone point me to formulas/charts for sizing the cable for the input into the combiner box and the output from the combiner box? Is there anything else I need to know, settings I need to change, or things I need to avoid if I go about expanding my battery bank myself?

Thank you
    Last edited by goodneighbor113; 07-19-2021, 10:16 AM.
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

Fully charging the batteries isn't the important part.. You want to make sure all batteries are at the exact same voltage to within 100 millivolts or so.

Comment

Working...