Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJJ100
    • Jun 2021

Using SolarEdge Grid tied system off grid Daylight Only

Consider this for an off grid system that only needs to operate during the day:

Use an Enphase microinverter that produces 240 v AC at 60 hz from one solar panel, and connect it to a SolarEdge string inverter system (Say SE6000H 6 KW system) 240 v AC in parallel, with a switch to the load. When the SolarEdge system wakes up and starts producing power then throw the switch so the SolarEdge system powers the load.

Q:
    1) How close to 60 hz is the Enphase microinverter by itself?
    2) How can the load switch be automated for the SolarEdge SE6000H?
    3) Would it damage the Enphase microinverter still connected to the load when the sun sets, or would the load switch need to be opened before the SolarEdge inverter stops producing (or a storm cloud/eclipse stops production)
    4) What issues do you see?
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

If you only need to operate when the sun shines, build a system where
    panel DC output directly feeds the load.

Grid tie inverters require an essentially infinite energy load (the line) to
    operate. They are not set up to have arbitrary (much higher impedance
    than the line) output loads switched at the line output. Bruce Roe

Comment

• RJJ100
      • Jun 2021

Thank you for you ideas.

DC won’t power the Air Conditioner or Washer or Dryer.

Regarding Grid Tie Inverters, some have the ability to do zero export like the SolarEdge SE6000H. Is that still an infinite load?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

The latest (and most efficient) technology heat pumps (like I use) can
        be purchased specifically to run off solar panels. We hang clothes out
        to dry if the sun shines. For a washer I would first suggest see how the
        RV people do it. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Originally posted by RJJ100
          Consider this for an off grid system that only needs to operate during the day:

Use an Enphase microinverter that produces 240 v AC at 60 hz from one solar panel, and connect it to a SolarEdge string inverter system (Say SE6000H 6 KW system) 240 v AC in parallel, with a switch to the load. When the SolarEdge system wakes up and starts producing power then throw the switch so the SolarEdge system powers the load.

Q:
          1) How close to 60 hz is the Enphase microinverter by itself?
          2) How can the load switch be automated for the SolarEdge SE6000H?
          3) Would it damage the Enphase microinverter still connected to the load when the sun sets, or would the load switch need to be opened before the SolarEdge inverter stops producing (or a storm cloud/eclipse stops production)
          4) What issues do you see?

What is the Enphase microinverter model?

Comment

• RJJ100
            • Jun 2021

Solardreamer, i’m open to any of them, would probably buy one that matches the one panel I would buy specifically for this purpose.

Comment

• solardreamer
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Solardreamer, i’m open to any of them, would probably buy one that matches the one panel I would buy specifically for this purpose.
              I asked because I am not aware of a generally available Enphase microinverter model that can generate power off grid. There is the iQ8 that is supposed to be able to generate power off grid but that is still not available today more than 2 years after announcement.

Comment

• RJJ100
                • Jun 2021

Solardreamer, I didn’t know that they all required connection to the grid! Was thinking they could allow me to boot up a SolarEdge system. May the iQ8 come quickly!

Comment

• solardreamer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Solardreamer, I didn’t know that they all required connection to the grid! Was thinking they could allow me to boot up a SolarEdge system. May the iQ8 come quickly!
                  End of Q3 is the latest estimate but Enphase has failed to meet such estimates before.

Comment

Working...