Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maineoffgrid
    • May 2021

Off grid irrigation setup

I would just like my calculations double checked by someone more experienced so I don’t ruin a bunch of expensive equipment. I am running (4) 250W24V panels in two strings at 48V into a Renogy Rover 60A MPPT. Battery bank is (8) 6VTrojan T-105 in series for two 24V strings. Each is rated at 225 ah so I am calculating my total AH storage at 450~. I am running a Giandel 2000w inverter off the battery bank powering a 1hp booster pump from a pond. Pump is rated at 10A 120V. Battery monitor with shunt reads actual pump draw at 400W. I am trying to run the pump for 6 hours a day, during full uninterrupted sunlight on panels. I calculated this at 2kwh/day consumption or 83AH. Battery monitor indicates 24.8 volts somewhat constantly while pump is in operation and panels are charging. Is this a safe situation for all components involved and could it be done for a day or so even if the panels were not actively charging the battery at the same time?
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

I dont believe you have your calculations correct.

If you want to run your pump for 6hrs a day you need enough panel wattage to run the pump and keep the batteries charged.

Assuming your batteries are all in very good condition for your 24V bank I would assume a float charge or 27v. So say you dont run the pump for a day and your batteries go through there full charge cycle and float at 27v from midday we could assume they are fully charged.

So the next day when you turn the pump on basically anytime the panels can not maintain the battery bank at a minimum of 27v you can consider that you are using Ah from the battery bank.

If you want to run the pump every day for 6hrs then you need your panels to maintain that 27v. If they can not then your batteries will not be fully charged at the end of the day so as days go buy they will end up depleted.

It is unlikely you will get 6hrs of pump time a day, how many depends on the sun and how long you want your batteries to last.

Comment

• Maineoffgrid
      • May 2021

Ok, thank you for the advice I will make sure to wait until the monitor reads 27 ~ to engage the pump.

Comment

Working...