wire size parallel connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire size parallel connection

I would like to connect 4 panels in parallel - just thinking about because od possible shading situation, panels 285 W, wmp is 31.7V, imp 9V, Isc 9,42 A. it means in parallel connection of 4 panels 36A, wire size online calculator after filling up 2% drop and 78 feet /2 cables distance 39 feet/, showed me 2AWG wires = 35mm2, and even more. Problem is that all connectors I found on market on internet are for wires up to 6mm2. Any advice? except connecting panels in series or 2 strings in series and then parallel instead? thank you

Originally posted by dsmusicmaster View Post
    I would like to connect 4 panels in parallel - just thinking about because od possible shading situation, panels 285 W, wmp is 31.7V, imp 9V, Isc 9,42 A. it means in parallel connection of 4 panels 36A, wire size online calculator after filling up 2% drop and 78 feet /2 cables distance 39 feet/, showed me 2AWG wires = 35mm2, and even more. Problem is that all connectors I found on market on internet are for wires up to 6mm2. Any advice? except connecting panels in series or 2 strings in series and then parallel instead? thank you
    I assume you mean the MC4 type connectors are only for 6mm and smaller.

There are connectors that you can use to change wire size and are rated for wet environments (although they are not inexpensive)

BUT the better thing to do would be to do them in series.
    If they're even semi-modern panels, they have bypass diodes and will work fine in series (may even be able to get more power out of the group as a single string than as four in parallel.)

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I assume you mean the MC4 type connectors are only for 6mm and smaller.

There are connectors that you can use to change wire size and are rated for wet environments (although they are not inexpensive)

BUT the better thing to do would be to do them in series.
      If they're even semi-modern panels, they have bypass diodes and will work fine in series (may even be able to get more power out of the group as a single string than as four in parallel.)

yes I meant MC4 connectors, they offer them everywhere, As for panels series connection, the regulator I want to buy has 100 V input and panels voc is 38,7 V, so I can not put 4 panels in series, so most probably 2 strings in serie/ parallel connection. I red something about bypass diodes in panels, was not sure how they work, I am new to photovoltaic systems, thanks for answer.

Comment

One approach is to connect two panels in series and then run each string back to the inverter with a separate wire. Another approach is to cut off the MC4 connectors, run the wires into a weather-rated junction box using appropriate cable glands, and join the ends together using any UL-rated wire joining device, such as Ideal #66 wire nuts, Burndy Unitap, or Marathon Power Terminal Blocks.

People here also recommend using dielectric grease like Sanchem NO-OX-ID when you join the wires, even if using MC4 connectors. The grease acts like a second rubber coating around the metal parts, keeping condensation off the connection, for longer life.

In all of these cases, there are many different products. I'm not encouraging one particular brand or model over another. If it has a UL rating, it is probably excellent.

But it is critical to follow instructions to the letter. For example, if they give you a tightening torque, get an appropriate torque wrench and use it.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
          One approach is to connect two panels in series and then run each string back to the inverter with a separate wire. Another approach is to cut off the MC4 connectors, run the wires into a weather-rated junction box using appropriate cable glands, and join the ends together using any UL-rated wire joining device, such as Ideal #66 wire nuts, Burndy Unitap, or Marathon Power Terminal Blocks.

People here also recommend using dielectric grease like Sanchem NO-OX-ID when you join the wires, even if using MC4 connectors. The grease acts like a second rubber coating around the metal parts, keeping condensation off the connection, for longer life.

In all of these cases, there are many different products. I'm not encouraging one particular brand or model over another. If it has a UL rating, it is probably excellent.

But it is critical to follow instructions to the letter. For example, if they give you a tightening torque, get an appropriate torque wrench and use it.
          thank you for advice

Comment

Working...
          X