Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • checkthisout
    • Mar 2019

Modbus and RS-485

If a device can use modbus for communication, is it plausible it's RS485 output is compatible with other brand devices (Bluetooth and wifi modules) that also have modbus and an RS-485 jack?

In other words (neophyte here) is modbus a standardized communication protocol and would the manufacturer generally then also use the same standard on the RS485 ouput?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by checkthisout
    In other words (neophyte here) is modbus a standardized communication protocol and would the manufacturer generally then also use the same standard on the RS485 ouput?
    I made the assumption that my inverter which had CANBUS could talk to my BMS which also had CANBUS. Apparently it is not that simple and I suspect the answer might be similar with modbus or RS485 that it depends. My point is, do not make an assumption and even if the answer is yes, make sure you actually see an example of your equipment talking to the other device and what things are communicated and which settings can be controlled.

Perhaps users with more communications experience can clarify.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• checkthisout
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ampster
      I made the assumption that my inverter which had CANBUS could talk to my BMS which also had CANBUS. Apparently it is not that simple and I suspect the answer might be similar with modbus or RS485 that it depends. My point is, do not make an assumption and even if the answer is yes, make sure you actually see an example of your equipment talking to the other device and what things are communicated and which settings can be controlled.

Perhaps users with more communications experience can clarify.
      I typed my original question on mobile so I didn't clarify as good as I should have. I would assume modbus or whatever is just a designator of pins in a connector so further clarification provided below.

Comment

• checkthisout
        • Mar 2019

These 3 charge controllers look the exact same to me.

All 3 use the exact same wifi or bluetooth box for monitoring and 2 of them use the same APP and Computer monitoring program to interface the bluetooth or wifi box.

Tycon makes yet another monitoring box https://www.tycononline.com/TPDIN3-R...etr_p_514.html that interfaces their controller shown above. Just curious if it's likely TYCON's monitoring box would interface at least the other controller that uses the same wifi box that TYCON uses to interface.

Then I can use their box on the other (cheaper) charge controllers without having to rely on 3rd party apps or software and servers that may go unsupported in the future.

I am sure no one knows for sure. Just curious if it's likely. I don't think all these companies are using unique software in their rebranding efforts but maybe they are.

For reference, the TYCON 60 amp controller is $382.00 while the PowMR controller is $260.00. The Tycon does come with a 3 year warranty though.

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

If a device can use modbus for communication, is it plausible it's RS485 output is compatible with other brand devices (Bluetooth and wifi modules) that also have modbus and an RS-485 jack?

Both RS485 and MODBUS are standardized but that does not mean 2 devices using RS485 and MODBUS can understand communicated data from each other. The information content of the data communicated over RS485 or MODBUS is entirely application/device specific. This is generally true for network communication standards (e.g Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.). Manufacturers usually publish specs of the information communicated over RS485 and MODBUS if it's meant for customer usage. In the context of solar charge controllers, I know EPEver publishes the information specs of their RS485/MODBUS data.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

......I would assume modbus or whatever is just a designator of pins in a connector so further clarification provided below.
            There are many layers to networking and the physical layer was the easiest for me to understand because it was colors and pin numbers. That part of CANBUS is easy since it was two wires, a ground and sometimes a resistor. Having the inverter understand what the result of a message is the hard part. For example how does a BMS communicate a message to lower Amps or CV voltage and what does the inverter do when it gets that message?

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• checkthisout
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by solardreamer

Both RS485 and MODBUS are standardized but that does not mean 2 devices using RS485 and MODBUS can understand communicated data from each other. The information content of the data communicated over RS485 or MODBUS is entirely application/device specific. This is generally true for network communication standards (e.g Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.). Manufacturers usually publish specs of the information communicated over RS485 and MODBUS if it's meant for customer usage. In the context of solar charge controllers, I know EPEver publishes the information specs of their RS485/MODBUS data.
              Got it. I am going to guess that since the different brand controllers use the same wifi and bluetooth boxes and also the same app that it stands to reason they will be compatible with each other software-wise....hopefully.

Comment

• Orkeven
                • Mar 2024

Got it. I am going to guess that since the different brand controllers use the same wifi and bluetooth boxes and also the same app that it stands to reason they will be compatible with each other software-wise....hopefully.

Hello.
                How did it go for you? I think I am in a similar situation where I have a solar charge controller that has a RS485 communication port but didn't come with any module and after I finally contacted the manufacturer they are not forthcoming with providing any solution for me. Apparently, I should have made sure to purchase the one with a communication module. They would not provide me with the module as a separate purchase. I got a seller online who was willing but the cost of shipping is much more than the cost of the device itself. There are available options that I could get without spending as much, like the EPEVER BLE.
                So, I have been on the hunt to know what other's experiences have been like, if anyone has tried to use a different module with a different charge controller for communicating via rs485.

Comment

Working...