Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric Bzikot
    • Feb 2021

Heating water

Hi! I have an 8 panel system, 340 watt panels in two arrays feeding a 3 kw water heating element in a 200 litre water tank. The steel tank is not insulated as the plan is that it will lose heat at night and warm up the conservatory type room. Save the weeds from freezing. I installed it last fall and although the room doesn’t get very warm, it’s never frozen the plants, so I’m happy. Unfortunately the first heater element only lasted till January when it corroded out. I replaced it and installed a magnesium sacrificial rod, and replaced the same water. But the replacement element has burnt out, not through corrosion. It may have been a faulty element, or is there another reason why it’s eating elements? The volts from the panels on a very sunny, very cold day with snow all round max at 243 volts, open circuit. Voltage is generally lower, with load, and poorer sunshine. A 240 volt rated element should take it? The businesses suggest cyboinverters to convert to AC but they cost $2000 plus and I can’t see why it should be necessary. Can anybody please enlighten me on this thing?
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

The voltage looks reasonable, but a standard tank thermostat is incapable of
    controlling DC power for many cycles. Solve that problem first, perhaps use
    a solid state switch. That ought to be a lot simpler (and more efficient) than
    an inverter. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Heater elements are made to cycle off and on . All the thermal cycling would cause failure in 10 years or so.

Running them ON for 6 hours at a time must be causing something else to happen to kill them in a year. Was there any crust or crud on the failed elements ?
      CALROD elements should have a ceramic between the electric and water, not sure how they would corrode

How about the connections to the elements - are they secure? But a bad wire connection would, I expect, char the wire insulation from heat.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• checkthisout
        • Mar 2019

Pic of elements and what temp is your water hitting and what is the water source? Heavy mineral well water? Any other people in the area with normal a/c heaters to ask how long their elements last?

Comment

Working...