Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dante3117
    • Nov 2020

Solar Array vs Charge Controller

What will happen if my array produces more amperage than my charge controller is sized for? Mathematically my array can deliver 4440 watts at 48V or 92.5A and my controller is only 80 amps. Other than when the sun is in optimal position my panels will not deliver 4440 watts. I want to add more panels so during off peak months my charge controller will keep my batteries fully charged during the day.

Will the panels burn out the controller? Can I add multiple controllers to the same battery bank?

Background: I have 12 370W 48V panels wired in parallel. 36 - 100ah 12V batteries in 3 banks each supplying 48V 300ah for a total of 900ah. 1 - AIMS Power 10,000 Watt Pure Sine inverter which is also a charger but set to not charge due to no AC input power. Currently NO LOAD is connected to the inverter because the load is yet to be added to the off grid system. FYI new install of this off grid system.

Thank you for your input.
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

MPPT charge controllers constantly adjust the "operating point" of the array's voltage/current to achieve maximum power harvest. Thus, when faced with too much power, the controller simply shifts the operating point off the peak to reduce the power to a safe level. You can also think of this as impedance matching. Maximum power transfer happens when the impedance (voltage - current ratio) of the load matches the impedance of the power source. This is why your gas engine has a transmission to match the variable impedance of an accelerating car. Or why your stereo needs 8ohms of low impedance to match the 8ohms of the speaker coil. By adjusting the pulse width (0 to 100%) of its power transistors on-time, the charge controller adjusts its input impedance to match the impedance of the array. (which changes according to sun angle and clouds etc..)
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Major brand controllers can handle a bit of "over paneling" because they tend to be much more robust than cheap controllers.

Aiming parts of the array in different directions ( east, south, west) insures not all the panels will be at max power at any one time, and is more suited to Grid tie systems, but off grid systems can use this for load shifting and such too. You just don't want to be in a daily position of having 3000 watts of well aimed panels in the afternoons, and you batteries are in Float, charging at 10 amps.....
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Stephen123
        • Dec 2020

Solar panel is connected to my 16 year old 700 amp RV batteries through a "Renogy Wanderer Li 30A 12V" that couldn't power the RV lights overnight. after bulk charge and 2 days of float charge lights will stay on for a couple of days , when camping the panel is connected to the batteries so they are fully charger all day, I have the panel laying flat on the RV roof, I could get an inverted and bring a blender camping, but were camping . very pleased with the performance of the panel and charger.

Comment

Working...