X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BerndtS
    • Dec 2020

Question regarding throttling of energy production of panels

Hi folks -

not sure whether this is the correct sub forum, but giving it a try. We live off-grid on the Big Island of Hawaii - loving it! Generally our system works great, we have 30 325 W panels and 5 Simplify Lithium Ion batteries. One Outback Radion Invertor and a Mate controller. We started with 3 batteries but upped it a while back to 5. I believe since that time the settings must have changed since prior to the install I frequently observed that we were generating 7, 8 or sometimes 9 KW/h...however now it seems throttled to 5.2 or 5.3 KW/h. I was told that when the batteries are above a certain percent you do want it throttled, BUT there should be a setting that when you draw energy, such as turning on the A/C or plugging in an electric car, it should compensate for that additional draw and product the max it can product at the given time. E.g. when I plug in the car, I see that it briefly spikes to 6.9 or 7 but then immediately pulls back to the dreaded 5.2.

Does anybody know where I can change that setting on the MATE? I've been trying to get ahold of our solar installer...but in good old island-fashion he seems to be MIA. Hence I'm trying to see whether I can fix this on my own.

A big Mahalo and Aloha from Hawai'i.

Berndt
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

I had a Radian and Mate years ago and it may have to do with the Simpliphi Battery settings. I have the SimpliPhi settings Table 10 for Outback Inverters and the only two numbers that you could check is Absorb voltage of 54.4 and Float of 54.
    That is a good question for the Outbackpower Forum if that doesn't help.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• BerndtS
      • Dec 2020

Thanks for the quick reply. My settings seem to be these https://photos.app.goo.gl/sErpV2dZFAsLdE1s5

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

Ya, when you add batteries to a solar system, things get complicated. There is a conflict in the charge controller between caring for the battery and not overcharging, and trying to fully utilize your solar gain by charging the battery as much as possible. I'm not a pro on Outback products so read your operator's manual carefully and then call Outback tech support...
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• BerndtS
          • Dec 2020

I might try on the outback support forum ...thanks much!

Comment

Working...