Lion Energy Portable 100 watt panels in series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisski
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2020

Lion Energy Portable 100 watt panels in series?

I recently purchased 4 lion Energy 100 watt portable panels. For outputs, there is not a positive and negative MC4 cable like most panels I looked at. Instead, it has two cable sets, an input cable set and an output cable set designed to hook these in parallel. Each of these cable sets has a positive and negative Anderson connector. A picture of the device is below.

The spec sheet I found for these has very little data, perhaps a page. Not like my renogy panels where there's volumes together. In fact, I used my multimeter just to see whether the panels are hooked up in series or parallel. When the voltage didn't change when hooked together, must be in parallel. I couldn't measure with my ammeter because it is fused at 10 amps, and probably would have blown the fuse since each panel puts out 6.5 amps measure IOC.

Anyway, I want to hook these Lion Energy 100 watt portable panels in series and not parallel, so wondering if anyone with these panels has tried that successfully? I know how I want to go about that, but I'm not sure of the electronics inside the small box attached to the panel where the diodes go are designed to only handle voltage of one panel.

I'd like to go higher voltage and reduce amps for the same wattage especially for cable runs. I can work around that now with a 12 volt system, but I had planned on upgrading to 24 volts, and with a VOC of 22.5 VDC, that's not strong enough to charge a 24 VDC system. The Lion Website also sells a 100 watt, 24 DC panel which it seems they want you to buy for the 24 VDC system.

================================================== =================
    EDIT: I placed these in series and have used them several times and with 3S2P have gotten up to 66 volts. Took me over a year, but I upgraded to 24 volts and could not use a single panel. Needed two of these 18 - 22 VDC panels in series to power the 24 Volt MPPT.
    Last edited by chrisski; 10-16-2021, 03:50 PM.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chrisski
    Anyway, I want to hook these Lion Energy 100 watt portable panels in series and not parallel, so wondering if anyone with these panels has tried that successfully? I know how I want to go about that, but I'm not sure of the electronics inside the small box attached to the panel where the diodes go are designed to only handle voltage of one panel.
    Those bypass diodes attached to the panel will not care if you wire the panel
    in parallel or series, they do not receive the total system voltage. Bruce Roe

Comment

• chrisski
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2020

Lion Energy does have a customer service that responds, I'll give them that, but I don't like the answers I'm hearing.

There first text came back the system is designed to run in Parallel only. A follow up question about whether I can wire the output positive and negative so the circuit was in series, the response was perhaps that would work, but it would void the warranty.

Originally posted by bcroe

Those bypass diodes attached to the panel will not care if you wire the panel
      in parallel or series, they do not receive the total system voltage. Bruce Roe
      What I plan on trying if no one has attempted before, is to take the output + and wire it to a different panel output - to create a series of panels. I plan on leaving the input side alone.

I'd feel al whole lot better about this if I wasn't the first kid on my block trying this with $700 of panels. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but hope is a terrible strategy.

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

If I opened that black panel up that contains the diode, what should I see? Is it typically just a diode or is there other electronics?

Both sets of panels I have are either packed away, my Lion Energy panels, or a few miles away at the RV Storage site. Otherwise, I’d check myself.

I got another text from Lions energy saying had I only texted them first, I they would have told me these panels are only for Parallel.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

The J-box on the back of panels, generally only have a couple of bypass diodes. Normally no other circuitry.

The panel back label should have, along with the UL cert, a spec for panel system voltage, usually 600V or 1,000V This would be the insulation rating for a string of panels for a grid inverter or a large MPPT controller needing a string voltage of 450VDC
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• chrisski
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2020

Thanks. I hope they labeled it and will look for it.

I asked about the published short circuit voltage, amperage and also the temperature coefficient today, but did not get that from the company.

I think it’s a good panel, puts out 23 volts and 6.5 amps in the sun as measured short circuit with my multimeter, which is more than my renogy. I hope I am able to put these in series. I think these four Hundred watts of panels have potential to produce more energy than my 600 watts of flat roof mounted panels on top of my RV. It would be a lot easier for me to feed them into my setup in series than in parallel for 26 amps for four panels.

Comment

• chrisski
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2020

I took the cover off the J-Box and its simply wires and a diode

Lion Energy Inside J Box.jpg I don't see any reason why these can't be put in series.
              Attached Files

Comment

• chrisski
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2020

I did put these in series 3S2P and have had no issues with them after several time of use. Up to 66 volts total when put in series.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

> I asked about the published short circuit voltage.......but did not get that from the company.

With everything, short circuit voltage is 0
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• chrisski
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
                    > I asked about the published short circuit voltage.......but did not get that from the company.

With everything, short circuit voltage is 0
                    I used the wrong terminology. Meant Open Circuit Voltage.

The new model panel has the VMP, VOC, IOC, ISC published.
                    Last edited by chrisski; 10-17-2021, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...