Conext MPPT 60 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conext MPPT 60 150

Anybody know why my XW5548 has a customizable lithium charge profile and the MPPT 60 150 does not? Schneider's tech support sucks so they are no help.
    Conext XW5548
    Conext MPPT60-150

Because the inverter/charger has a grid-tie only interface and is used as a UPS & Load Shift and can recharge batteries from grid without solar. There may be a firmware update for the MPPT60 that does have Li profile, I've not looked yet. ( last updated 24 July 2020 )
    https://solar.schneider-electric.com...t-mppt-60-150/
    under tech pubs:
    Technical Publications
    conext-mppt-cad-210-3081-01-01_rev-a.zip
    1594764920wpdm_conext-mppt-using-lithium-ion-and-advanced-batteries_eng.pdf
    Last edited by Mike90250; 09-22-2020, 02:26 AM.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Because the inverter/charger has a grid-tie only interface and is used as a UPS & Load Shift and can recharge batteries from grid without solar. There may be a firmware update for the MPPT60 that does have Li profile, I've not looked yet. ( last updated 24 July 2020 )
      https://solar.schneider-electric.com...t-mppt-60-150/
      under tech pubs:
      Technical Publications
      conext-mppt-cad-210-3081-01-01_rev-a.zip
      1594764920wpdm_conext-mppt-using-lithium-ion-and-advanced-batteries_eng.pdf
      Thanks Mike. I flashed the latest firmware to my MPPT 60 150 yesterday and still no Li profile. There is also supposed to be a RPO (remote power off) switch through the CC aux input but it's not in the settings. I cannot get the CCs aux connector to RPO the CC.

Going LifeP04 I was wanting to use a higher end BMS that can control the CC and inverter with it's built in external on/off switches. Sadly the Schneider equipment is way behind in Lithium support. Schneider has chosen the path of plug and play with partnered LifeP04 batteries only. They have done nothing firmware wise for the DIY guys.

The RPO on my XW5548 is also not helpful for my needs. It puts the entire system in hibernate (including the CC) and powers down the SCP and Combox. It will not resume operation unless the power button on the inverter is physically pressed. The CC has to be completely disconnected from the batteries and solar to start back up. Not what you want if you are 1,200 miles away and the BMS shuts the system down because of low temp or low voltage. Charging would not start again until you physically reset everything.

So I will have to look at one of the cheaper BMS units where the charging goes through the BMS. Or get real creative with relays or learn how to program separate inverter and CC on/off commands through the Combox RS485 port (not even sure if that is possible).

I did discover there is a vacant RJ-45 (xanbus maybe?) that has SCP written on the board. It would be great if this would allow me to put just the XW into standby with a BMS external switch and also bring it out of standby. I cannot find any info about this port. I'm guessing the SCP can be plugged directly into in addition to a Xanbus port.
      Last edited by hammick; 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM.
      Conext XW5548
      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Hey Mike I'm thinking I can make the Orion BMS2 Jr. BMS work quite nice with quality high amp battery disconnect relay. However I'm wondering what would happen to my MPPT 60 150 if the BMS disconnected my batteries when full sun is hitting my panels. Andy idea if the 60 150 can handle that? Sorry to bug you so much but Schneider's tech support is pretty much non-existent anymore. And this is not something I want to test out without educating myself first.
        Conext XW5548
        Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

I know nothing about the Orion, sorry
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hammick I can help you. You need to change your strategy and battery management routine. You are stuck inside a lead acid battery zombie body walking around chanting" thou must be fully charged. That is the last thing you want to do with any LFP battery, especially a solar system. Once the batteries are balanced, you do not have much more use for the BMS. LFP batteries do not self discharge like Pb batteries. They do not become imbalanced. They only need balanced once a year or so. I have an orion Jr I used on a racing golf cart, and is a good fit for 48 volts. But you will be best served using it as a Monitor, and hardly ever use the balance circuit.

The only thing you will use the Orion for is to let you know when the batteries need balanced, and in the rare event of an over discharge, disconnect the batteries if the Inverter LVD failed to work. You never disconnect at any other time. That would be foolish,

You got to get out of the lead acid ways of thinking, LFP batteries work best at a Partial SOC of Charge between 20/90% . Instead of setting charge voltage to 59.2 volts, you set it to 54.4 volts. That way the BMS never triggers the Balance Circuits because you are not going to 100%. You are only going to 90 to 95%, and then FLOAT just like a lead acid battery. You do not disconnect. Once the batteries reach 54.4 volts stop charging like any battery. Say that happens at noon. Instead of the Controller disconnecting stays on line to supply load current from the panels saving battery power until after sunset. Doh!. Otherwise, you disconnect, and go on battery power eating your lunch with full sun overhead burning your bald head Charlie Brown.

Keep in mind the Orion Jr customer is the DIY EV, Golf Cart, E-Bike, and Riding Lawn Mower folks using up to 16S Lithium cells, any lithium chemistry. So its functions are tailored to Automotive Traction Power Trains. It can do some really cool things if you know how to program PLC. Way more capabilities than a off grid solar system needs. But if you can program, use shunts can make some neat bells and whistles. In the end just lipstick on the same ole pig.Most useful thing is a coulomb counter for a decent gas gauge.
            Last edited by Sunking; 09-25-2020, 10:49 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X