accidental cross wiring two panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accidental cross wiring two panels

My current goal is to configure a dual panel 200w system in either series or parallel for a vehicle's auxiliary battery with an mppt between. In my efforts at checking the difference in current between the two schemes, at a certain point I noticed in quiet horror that I accidentally connected the two panels together negative-positive/positive-negative for a few minutes. What I saw searching for this mishap is nothing on the matter, clearly because it is something no one would like to admit, much less intend to do.

I would like to know if this circular arrangement would do any appreciable damage to the internal circuitry of the panels, or given their identical specs, perhaps the potential of each would simply cancel that of the other for the time specified?

I believe it is highly unlikely you did any damage. With 2 identical panels, that amounts to shorting
    each one, except there are 2 in the loop. Shorting a solar panel will do no damage. If one panel
    was putting out a lot more power, the others bypass diodes might activate, still not a problem. I
    have fed power up to 3 times a panels output rating (in a failed attempt to melt snow) with no
    damage. Bruce Roe

Comment

I found this thread on stackexchange addressing the same concern: https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-short-circuit

Panels are rated for their closed circuit current, but with the resistance of a load applied, polarity exists and with it a somewhat reduced current ..

Intuitively though I am still trying to make sense of how the current is dissipated -- is there an unwanted amount of heat generated in the panel?

Comment

Originally posted by jdfnnl View Post
        Panels are rated for their closed circuit current, but with the resistance of a load applied, polarity exists and with it a somewhat reduced current ..

Intuitively though I am still trying to make sense of how the current is dissipated -- is there an unwanted amount of heat generated in the panel?
        When a panel operates as intended, 80% of the sun energy is dissipated as heat. If open or
        short circuited, it rises to 100%. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
        X