Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krod607
    • Jul 2020

Kids Playhouse Question

We are closing on new house that has a kids playhouse 10x16 . The previous owner had put some rough electric inside couple of sockets and lights hook ups. Everything was done to code. Never finished running to the main panel in the garage of house. During Home inspection the main panel is fine but if we wanted to add the playhouse some updates would be needed. Was looking to see if a solar panel system could be used to power just the playhouse without hooking to the main panel to house. Would really just need a light or 2 and charge cell phone. Wouldn’t be used everyday. Any help would greatly appreciated. Basic knowledge of electrical workings, no solar experience. I have been looking on Youtube but didn’t trust the advice.
  • bob-n
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

You're talking about a small "off grid" electric system.

A simple way to do this is to get a solar panel, a solar battery charger, and a 12V battery. Then run everything in the playhouse from 12V. That simplifies the system and also reduces the shock hazard. You can get 12V LED bulbs and 12V cell chargers. When the kids are grown, you can also get a 12V fridge for beer.

If you need 120VAC, you need all of the above plus an inverter.

Then it becomes a matter of estimating your power usage and the sunlight available so you can size the panels and battery. We can help you calculate requirements. Think about how long the lights will be on, how much power they use, how many hours per day you'll have full sun, whether you want to allow for a few cloudy or rainy days without sun, etc. It all comes down to your assumptions and simple math.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• Krod607
      • Jul 2020

Looking at an online estimate, I get 4.08 peak sun hours. We want 3 lights, 1 in the loft, 1 on the porch, and 1 in main area. Lights would be on most days 2 hrs at most. Would like to allow for for cloudy or rainy days to be built in.

Comment

• Krod607
        • Jul 2020

With the set up you suggested above we would just ignore what’s already in there and just the 12v solar panel system for power?

Comment

• bob-n
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

Power usage: 3 lights, LED, 10 watts each, 2 hours each = 60 watt hours per day.
          We recommend that people not discharge batteries below 50%. The less you discharge them, the longer they last. You might select 150 watt hours of battery, to give you extra margin for one cloudy day. If you plan on a few cloudy days, get 200 watt hours or more.
          You need to replace that 60 watt hours with 4 hours of solar energy. A 100 watt solar panel would be more than adequate.

You're best to get advice from an electrician. From what I know, you don't want to connect 120VAC outlets to 12V DC. If the light fixture and light switches installed are rated for 12V DC operation (some are and some aren't), I think you can reuse them.

Comment

• Krod607
            • Jul 2020

Thanks for help and advice. Will research more and look for the best solar panel system to use.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bob-n
              You're talking about a small "off grid" electric system.

A simple way to do this is to get a solar panel, a solar battery charger, and a 12V battery. Then run everything in the playhouse from 12V. That simplifies the system and also reduces the shock hazard. You can get 12V LED bulbs and 12V cell chargers. When the kids are grown, you can also get a 12V fridge for beer.

If you need 120VAC, you need all of the above plus an inverter.

Then it becomes a matter of estimating your power usage and the sunlight available so you can size the panels and battery. We can help you calculate requirements. Think about how long the lights will be on, how much power they use, how many hours per day you'll have full sun, whether you want to allow for a few cloudy or rainy days without sun, etc. It all comes down to your assumptions and simple math.
              Most prewired "sheds" are using 120V equipment including a GFI type receptacle.

My guess is that to go with a 12V system the OP would need to replace all of the existing electrical components.

But again if 120V is required it will need some type of GFI protection.

Comment

• Krod607
                • Jul 2020

I am think that going with a 12v solar panel system is my best option. I will leave the current wiring alone.
                Looking at my battery needs I found some calculations online. Looking to see if they are accurate.
                looking over my usage

Lead Acid: 600 Wh battery ÷ 50% DoD ÷ 80% efficiency = 1500Wh. Assume 12V battery, so 1500 ÷ 12 = 125 Ah.
                LiFePO4: 600 Wh battery ÷ 80% DoD ÷ 90% efficiency = 834 Wh. Assume 12V battery, so 1500 ÷ 12 = 70 Ah.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Krod607
                  I am think that going with a 12v solar panel system is my best option. I will leave the current wiring alone.
                  Looking at my battery needs I found some calculations online. Looking to see if they are accurate.
                  looking over my usage

Lead Acid: 600 Wh battery ÷ 50% DoD ÷ 80% efficiency = 1500Wh. Assume 12V battery, so 1500 ÷ 12 = 125 Ah.
                  LiFePO4: 600 Wh battery ÷ 80% DoD ÷ 90% efficiency = 834 Wh. Assume 12V battery, so 1500 ÷ 12 = 70 Ah.
                  Just remember you will need an inverter for your cell phone charger. And that one may need to be a pure sine wave type.

Comment

• Krod607
                    • Jul 2020

I might have missed something. I thought I would be able to use 5v usb charger or similar 12v not needing AC inverter

Comment

• bob-n
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2019

Please check your math. With the LiFePO4 battery, you can discharge further, so it should give you more capacity than a LA battery. I think that you need to multiply by 80% rather than divide by 80% DoD. Same for efficiency.

Lead Acid: 600 Wh battery * 50% DoD * 80% efficiency = 240Wh of usablecapacity. Assume 12V battery, so 240 ÷ 12 = 20 Ah.
                      LiFePO4: 600 Wh battery * 80% DoD * 90% efficiency = 432Wh of usable capacity. Assume 12V battery, so 432 ÷ 12 = 36 Ah.

Yes, you can use a car 12V to USB adapter for charging.

Comment

• azdave
                        • Oct 2014

Would really just need a light or 2 and charge cell phone.
                        Dang, I feel old! Our playhouse (fort) used railroad lanterns for lighting. Two soup cans with some string between them served as our communication system.

If I were building a simple system for the grandkids I would use a portable 12-volt jump pack to run the lights and USB charger. Teach the kids to take it in the house and charge it up each night if they want lights and recharging.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

I might have missed something. I thought I would be able to use 5v usb charger or similar 12v not needing AC inverter
                          A USB charger will work but it might take longer then a cord with a 120v wall wart.

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            A USB charger will work but it might take longer then a cord with a 120v wall wart.
                            It's a kids playhouse, and they do make fast automotive 12v chargers.

I like the jumpstart powerpack. Most have usb outlets and a 12v lighter jack
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

It's a kids playhouse, and they do make fast automotive 12v chargers.

I like the jumpstart powerpack. Most have usb outlets and a 12v lighter jack
                              I have one of those jumpstart packs and use it to run a fan for my wife when the power goes out. It can only safely provide about 90 watt hours at 50% DOD but that is enough to run small loads or charge a phone.

Comment

Working...