Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

programming cc and connecting powerwalls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

I do it professionally. I am not DIY.
    Yes, and people should listen to your advice. There is a whole segment of the population out there that have critical thinking skills and like to hear several opinions and make their own decisions. Some will make bad decisions and the gene pool will become better.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

i dont understand why the company advertises that they can be put in parallel then? is there a reason they cant be put in parallel? sorry just trying to make sense of all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcmullen7242 View Post
        i dont understand why the company advertises that they can be put in parallel then? is there a reason they cant be put in parallel? sorry just trying to make sense of all this.
        The reason the company advertises that way is to sell batteries. I think we earlier had a converstion about my feelings about the owner of the company. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed to successfully put them in parallel. I take a risk management approach to understand the risks, evaluated whether they can be mitigated, apply those mitigations if cost effective or don't connect them. If you want several opinions so you can make up your mind go to diysolarforum.com and search for other users of those batteries.
        You are also free to take the advice of the many sages here, including @Sunking, and forget about the batteries you bought. I am clearly in the minority and have been called a member of the Green Mafia and an Environmental Jihadist. I am just a DIY hobbyist who built his first Heathkit over 60 years ago but I am not a professional.

Comment

ok thanks for your help. also i found out they are nmc because techdirect sells this battery too

Comment

also i found out that it is actually 14s not 12s

i also was told by tech direct to program the following 58.5v eq 58.4 absorb and 58.0 float.
            while looking up programming a tristar mppt it says i can set the time for each, should i just leave those with default times?
            Last edited by Mcmullen7242; 05-21-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

ok thanks for your help. also i found out they are nmc because techdirect sells this battery too
              Yes and the owner of the other forum did a video on those vendors and the capacity test results. Which reminds me, capacity differences, which is what is likely with those packs can create eddy currents between the packs as they charge and discharge and that is one of the issues that should be dealt with, A good BMS with current shunts and disconnects can be used to mitigate risks from that issue.

Comment

i also was told by tech direct to program the following 58.5v eq 58.4 absorb and 58.0 float.
                They told you to use EQ, Absorb and Float?

That sends shivers down my spine. Sorry cannot help you with this. I should say will not help you. Leave that to the Mafia. I don't want my name to be part of it.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

That sends shivers down my spine. Sorry cannot help you with this. I should say will not help you. Leave that to the Mafia. I don't want my name to be part of it.
                  @McMullen7242, why don't you go sign up on diysolarforum.com and we can have a dialogue over there without being verbally abused. I use the same handle and there is private messaging.
                  We don't need to be providing content for this site just so the owner can get more referral revenue when there is so much rhubarb and background noise.

MODS: I don't mean to be violating any protocol by referring people to another forum, but there are videos and several users on that site that will be more helpful for owners of these particular batteries.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 05-21-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

well, i already bought the batteries and dont have funds to do anything else atm so im kind of stuck here with no power and just want to find out how i can get this going. if you could elaborate on why thats wrong so i can learn that would be appreciated instead of just passing wise remarks @sunking.

and just made an account, ill contact you there.
                    Last edited by Mcmullen7242; 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Happy to help, that is what these kind of forums are supposed to be for. See you on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

@McMullen7242, why don't you go sign up on diysolarforum.com and we can have a dialogue over there without being verbally abused.
                        Shine a light on cockroaches, and they run and hide.

MSEE, PE

Comment

That sends shivers down my spine. ;;;;;;;;;;.
                          It would send shivers down my spine too if they said that. There is no EQ setting in the spec sheet he posted. I have told him to disable EQ or set the EQ time to zero to effectively disable it. The constant current (Absorb) setting he was given is 4.15 volts per cell and I think that is too high for a used NMC pack which is what those are
                          . I only take my Nissan Leaf modules to 4.05 and I have told him an initial Absorb setting of 56.5 volts would be better until he gets a good BMS that will allow him to see how the cell deltas are when he is near the top. That Absorb setting is 4.05 volts per cell.

He is in good company now, with at least 15 others who are using those batteries. Those batteries came out of some kind of server room or perhaps a medical operation where those kind of battery packs seem to be replacing Lead Acid. Ironically whoever uses them follows the same replacement cycle that they were using for Lead Acid and that is why there are so many out there in the marketplace. From the tests I have seen is they still have about 80% of their original capacity left.
                          So far no reports of houses or garages burning down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

So far no reports of houses or garages burning down.
                            The problem with most DIY that end in disaster is not always posted on forums or even in the news. They just seem to be chalked up to stupid actions by the homeowner.

If you have the technical knowledge to build things then great. But some people have issues putting batteries in their flashlights. It is those people that we try to keep from getting hurt by pushing back on a DIY project.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

The problem with most DIY that end in disaster is not always posted on forums or even in the news. They just seem to be chalked up to stupid actions by the homeowner.

If you have the technical knowledge to build things then great. But some people have issues putting batteries in their flashlights. It is those people that we try to keep from getting hurt by pushing back on a DIY project.
                              Then you and the site owner have no problem with me referring those DIY types to that DIY site? I think every one would be happier if DIYrs did not clutter up this forum with those kind of "stupid actions". I also don't think they are more likely to get constructive advice from people more familiar with the products that they want to use. They are not likely to follow the referral links that drive this site anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Maybe a lot more pushback on those who, for whatever reason(s), think their input is technically safe and helpful, insightful genius but is actually seen as dangerous or at least ignorantly foolish and wasteful by those more, or at all informed on the subject might improve things.

Comment

Working...
                                X