• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mach75
    • May 2020

Head scratching Pond pump solar

Hi
    im completely new to all things solar
    this is this first time I’ve really thought about using it for anything since I live I the U.K.

During the lockdown, the mrs and I built a small pond and waterfall.

we are powering the waterfall with an old bilge pump
    we were wondering if it would be possible to power it using solar/batteries during the summer months.

the pump is 12 volts
    rated at 11 amps / fused for 15 amps
    which ( I think ) rates the pump around 130 watts
    the pump would need to run most of the day 10 hours or so ( especially if we get a few fish for the pond)

ive tried doing some research but it all got a bit confusing, I’ve read about charge controllers how they switch the load on/off, but that would mean the pump would go on/off during the day.

if anyone could give me some info on wether it’s possible or even worthwhile, It would be greatly appreciated .

thanks
    solar newbies
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

In my opinion, way better to bury a house power line to a small a/c pond pump and put it on a timer. I would never want to install all the solar gear and batteries required then have to maintain it all if house power is available. Solar will require constant fiddling and battery replacement plus seasonal issues. Even if you have to bury a long line to the pond, you will save money in the long run by not choosing solar.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Mach75
      • May 2020

Thanks for the reply
      we have power close to the pond, running the pump from the mains wouldn’t be a problem
      I was thinking solar would be a bit more environmentally friendly,
      I think you might be right

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mach75
        Thanks for the reply
        we have power close to the pond, running the pump from the mains wouldn’t be a problem
        I was thinking solar would be a bit more environmentally friendly,
        I think you might be right
        Well a solar/battery system with a load of 1.3kWh a day (130w x 10hr = 1300wh) is probably going to cost you somewhere between $1500 and $2000 USD. And then you may have additional costs depending on the amount of useful sunlight you can get to recharge the batteries. On top of that to get "smart" controls to turn your loads on & off may increase the cost of the CC.

Unless you really want to have solar /battery system as a power source you should expect to spend more then you expect and get less than you want.

For some money is no problem, but for others being environmentally friendly can be costly.

Comment

• Mach75
          • May 2020

Thanks for all your help
          il buy a power supply unit and plant a tree in the garden

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Thanks for all your help
            il buy a power supply unit and plant a tree in the garden
            You can still be green by installing net metering solar. Let the PoCo be your zero cost,
            zero maintenance, infinite capacity, 100% efficient battery. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mach75
              • May 2020

Hi bcroe
              could you explain what that means plz

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Hi bcroe
                could you explain what that means plz
                Powering direct will take some very troublesome batteries. But you could generate the
                power and send it to the grid under net metering. When you need the power, take it
                back from net metering credit for free. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...