Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulsating lights with direct sun on panels

Good morning all,
    New to the boards. We have a small pv off grid setup, new home new wiring, everything connected properly.

the pitfall is the 3k watt pure sine inverter is a cheapo, when we get full sun on the panels and the batteries get to 28v or higher the lights in the house pulse, if I shut the breakers to the panels off it stops. There is a red led on the inverter that blinks whilst this is happening.

the inverter is the reliable electric 24v 3000 watt pure sine. Works great when it’s not showing higher voltages.

last night we ordered a go power 3k pure sine hardwire model in hopes this will remedy.

there are no dimmers in the house and all grounds are proper. Ground bond in panel was removed as the inverter has its own.

anyone else ever deal with this? Thanks.

Hello Damehomestead and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I really have minimal ideas as to why your lights are pulsing except for maybe that cheap inverter is the issue. It may not really be a pure sine wave type or the input voltage may be exceeding its max set point.

Someone should respond to you with possible actions to try.

Comment

I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that the inverter is the issue but didn’t know if anyone else has dealt with it. Thank you for the reply and the welcome. Have a great day.

Comment

I'm leaning toward your charge controller being a simple switch:
        battery full, Stop charging
        less then full, Charge
        On Off On Off Blink blink blink
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you mike,

I think I figured it out. We have a new inverter in the way, much better one I hope. I noticed today when the battery bank was in float it wasn’t doing it. Only happens in bulk charge. Problem is when I try to dial it back the controller says parameter error. So trying to figure that out now.

thank you for the reply.

Comment

Do you have a manaul that tells you what the red blinking light is indicating?

Comment

It’s a high voltage light that blinks. Unfortunately it’s a cheapo inverter so the manual was basically pointless.

Comment

Good evening,

turns out the inverter was the problem. Got the new one installed and problem gone. Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Working...
                X