Trouble with timer, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with timer, need help

I bought a JVR 12 Volt timer hooked it up and it works fine except that the lights dont come on as bright and the outgoing voltage is lower, anybody experience this

Thank You

Originally posted by dinows View Post
    I bought a JVR 12 Volt timer hooked it up and it works fine except that the lights dont come on as bright and the outgoing voltage is lower, anybody experience this
    I have used other devices but only used the internal relay to trigger another relay because the amperage rating of the internal relays is often low possiblfy because it is going through a solid state relay. Or the internal voltage from the source may be low. Can you measure your source vs the output? If you don't have a voltmeter, connect the light to see if it is brighter when running off the source voltage instead of the output of the timer device.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
      I have used other devices but only used the internal relay to trigger another relay because the amperage rating of the internal relays is often low possiblfy because it is going through a solid state relay. Or the internal voltage from the source may be low. Can you measure your source vs the output? If you don't have a voltmeter, connect the light to see if it is brighter when running off the source voltage instead of the output of the timer device.
      Thanks for getting back to me, I am quarantines and am going stir Crazy !!! Anyways I just went to the garage and I have 13.9 going in and 11.99 coming out. I have some long rubs and need all the power i can get Thank You (yes the lights are nice and bright without the timer.) problem is I really need a timer for my outside lights

Comment

The timer probably uses a triac as the power switch. When switching 120V, losing 2V through the triac is no big deal. When switching 12V, that 2V loss is significant.

If you want to keep that timer and use it for low-voltage AC, then you can use the timer to drive a mechanical relay, like Ampster does.

Are you using the timer to switch AC or DC? Triacs don't always work well with DC.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
          The timer probably uses a triac as the power switch. When switching 120V, losing 2V through the triac is no big deal. When switching 12V, that 2V loss is significant.

If you want to keep that timer and use it for low-voltage AC, then you can use the timer to drive a mechanical relay, like Ampster does.

Are you using the timer to switch AC or DC? Triacs don't always work well with DC.
          No I am using DC, I mean there must be a lot of folk out there with DC system that have their lights turn on and off every night ?? Anything you can provide will help Thank You

Comment

No I am using DC, I mean there must be a lot of folk out there with DC system that have their lights turn on and off every night ?? Anything you can provide will help Thank You
            Since the triac in that timer is costing you 2 volts, one workaround is another relay powered by the relay in the timer, so you can get the full voltage to the lights. Another workaround would be to provide 14 volts to the timer so after the 2 volt haircut in the triac your lights will see 12 volts.You have options but none of them are simple. Perhaps another timer that uses regular relays would also solve that.
            Last edited by Ampster; 03-19-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Where is the 13.9vdc coming from (source)?, Most charge controllers, even the cheap ones have switched (load) outputs that will do dusk/dawn or let you control the hours on/off, do you have any kind of panel? or just battery and timer.

Comment

Since the triac in that timer is costing you 2 volts, one workaround is another relay powered by the relay in the timer, so you can get the full voltage to the lights. Another workaround would be to provide 14 volts to the timer so after the 2 volt haircut in the triac your lights will see 12 volts.You have options but none of them are simple. Perhaps another timer that uses regular relays would also solve that.
                Because of my runs 12 volts wont cut it, need at least 13, do you know where I could get such a relay ??

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
                  Where is the 13.9vdc coming from (source)?, Most charge controllers, even the cheap ones have switched (load) outputs that will do dusk/dawn or let you control the hours on/off, do you have any kind of panel? or just battery and timer.
                  I have battery's that I can draw from or right from the controller, both will power the lights all night. I was not aware there were controllers with timers built in for the outsource, could you suggest one / Thanks

Comment

Because of my runs 12 volts wont cut it, need at least 13, do you know where I could get such a relay ??
                    Any relay with a 12 volt coil should work. There are many on Amazon. You then power the coils with your timer and put your source of 13 volts through the contacts where there will be no loss.
                    Here is one example:
                    https://www.amazon.com/SPDT-Relay-Bo...BD78F2F838CB5A
                    Last edited by Ampster; 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Any relay with a 12 volt coil should work. There are many on Amazon. You then power the coils with your timer and put your source of 13 volts through the contacts where there will be no loss.
                      Here is one example:
                      https://www.amazon.com/SPDT-Relay-Bo...BD78F2F838CB5A
                      Thanks for your help, I will order one, for 8 bucks what do I have to loose !!

Comment

Working...
                      X