Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meaves
    • Feb 2020

Solar panel system for a small guard shack the size of a deer blind

Greetings, all. I have to admit that I have absolutely no knowledge about solar panels or the equipment required to install a solar panel system. However, I would appreciate any assistance or insight any of you could give me.

My 16-year old daughter has decided to take it upon herself to undertake a project at her high school school whereby she would install solar panels atop the school's parking lot guard shack so that the security guard could power a small fan in the spring/summer time and a small space heater in the winter time. The guard shack is roughly the size of a standard deer blind, although I don't have the exact dimensions (but I can get them if necessary).

What equipment will my daughter need to complete this project, and how involved/complex will the installation be (and how expensive)? I realize that I probably haven't provided enough information for any detailed answers, but I simply don't know what questions to ask. Let me know what additional information is needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can give me -- my daughter is excited about this project and I'm trying to do everything I can to help her complete it.

Best regards,
    Mike Eaves
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

If the roof of this guard shack was large enough to support two standard panels, at roughly 200 watts per hour each. With five hours of solid sunlight that would provide a theoretical maximum of 1,000 watts for one hour a day. Then you would need batteries to hold the charge, a charge-controller, and an invertor. Each addition of equipment will consume 10 to 20% of the power you make.

A small room heater is usually a 1,500 watt device. If everything was to work perfectly you might be able to power it for half an hour a day.
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• Meaves
      • Feb 2020

Thank you very much for this information! It's a good start. I will need to get the dimensions of the shack and the size of the roof -- then I'll be able to better determine if this is going to even be feasible. I do appreciate your quick response and the information/advice.

Mike

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Making heat from solar electricity is not a good use of a limited system. Lots of things can be done with PV to add to the comfort and versatility of the guard shack though. Think Mr. Heater propane heater for warmth and go with PV for lighting, fans, charging of electronics etc...
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

A simple solar power fan, no batteries, is easy.

Winter heat is easy, with a good jacket and a propane heater, or chemical heat pouches
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

It will be a good exercise in managing energy. Your best shot is get a 20A AC circuit trenched
            out there. Running a tiny fan is no problem, a resistive electric heater increases the problem
            by a few orders of magnitude. Dealing with air loss and wind might be the most productive.
            good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...