Off Grid Cabin - Existing Setup/Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Grid Cabin - Existing Setup/Limitations

Greetings all! I am new to the board and hoping to get some clarity on a few things.

I have been reading as much as possible on the subject, to get up to speed, but my brain doesn’t seem to be clicking when it comes to figuring out kWh, etc.

I close on a 450 sq ft off-grid log cabin next week. The gentleman that I’m purchasing from has (1) 300 watt panel, connected to 2 deep cycle batteries, with a ProStar 30 (PS-30M) controller. He is currently just running 12v with no inverter.

My most immediate question is, What can I realistically/reliably run off of something this size? And, second, what should I be looking at for an inverter? My ultimate goal is to have a system large enough to run a mini split for heating/cooling (again, only 450 square ft), lights, fridge, and water pump, as well as the smaller items like laptops, etc. so I’d like to get an inverter I can grow into, if possible.

I appreciate the time and assistance. Thanks!

.I close on a 450 sq ft off-grid log cabin next week. The gentleman that I’m purchasing from has (1) 300 watt panel, connected to 2 deep cycle batteries, with a ProStar 30 (PS-30M) controller. He is currently just running 12v with no inverter.

Before getting into your other questions....It sounds like a mismatched set up you have. A 300 watt panel is usually either 60 or 72 cells. Neither is a 12 volt panel. With the PWM controller you have described , and trying to charge a 12 volt battery your panel will act more like a 120 watt panel due to the voltage mismatch between the panel's output and your 12 volt battery bank.
    Can you tell us the panel's specs and more about the batteries?
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks for your reply littleharbor! Great questions that show my need for a better understanding of all of this. I just reached out to the seller to try and get specifics, and even hopefully a model number, on the panel and batteries.

Comment

Okay, I just got off the phone with the owner. It sounds like the panel is actually a 270. He confirmed it’s running as 12v. I believe he said the 2 batteries were linked as 6+6. I’m sure I’m screwing up that verbiage. The batteries are golf cart batteries from Walmart.

Comment

Need details from panel. 270 watts is much higher than any 12 volt panel I've heard of.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by 1strongg View Post
            Okay, I just got off the phone with the owner. It sounds like the panel is actually a 270. He confirmed it’s running as 12v. I believe he said the 2 batteries were linked as 6+6. I’m sure I’m screwing up that verbiage. The batteries are golf cart batteries from Walmart.
            You can put a system together that uses a 270w panel with a higher Vmp than 12volt yet be able to charge a 12v battery system that you have. What will help is to know the Vmp rating of that panel because it is probably more than 12V.

Comment

Working...
            X