Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimal shading late in the day a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimal shading late in the day a problem?

Do i need to be concerned at all about minimal shading (<5% of the total day), as in just a shadow from a distant tree that passes across parts of the panel late in the day. I have always been able to just about completely avoid all shading, but this time of year (sun low), i get a small amount briefly, and wanted to learn more about shading in regards to panel integrity/longevity (battery near float most of the time). I had seen some talk on another thread about possibly causing reverse bias of cells, etc. and wanted to know if panel damage is possible and which factors make that more likely.
    thanks

IF that were the case then wouldnt clouds passing over do the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
      Do i need to be concerned at all about minimal shading (<5% of the total day), as in just a shadow from a distant tree that passes across parts of the panel late in the day. I have always been able to just about completely avoid all shading, but this time of year (sun low), i get a small amount briefly, and wanted to learn more about shading in regards to panel integrity/longevity (battery near float most of the time). I had seen some talk on another thread about possibly causing reverse bias of cells, etc. and wanted to know if panel damage is possible and which factors make that more likely.
      thanks
      Shade should not hurt your panels. It will reduce their output but so will clouds and a late afternoon sun. I would not worry about it.
      Last edited by SunEagle; 02-13-2020, 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have some shading during the winter due to neighbor's trees. During the year when the sun is low I get some shade cast on the panels, especially in the late afternoon. Since I have optimizers, it only affects the shaded panels and not the whole system. It's not a big deal and only occurs for 6 to 8 weeks out of the year. I'm sure my neighbor would let me trim the trees at my own expense, but if I factor the $ amount of energy I would gain vs. the cost to hire a crew to trim these trees and haul the debris (these trees are LARGE) it would take many many years to recoup the cost. Besides, when I designed the system I made sure I would generate 130% of my usage while taking the shade into account. It is my understanding that optimizers or microinverters will minimize energy loss and prevent any damage due to shading.
        Last edited by PugPower; 02-13-2020, 04:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Trimming the trees could cause them to regenerate new growth in that portion you trimmed and potentially make the problem worse is short order. If the shading is minimal and especially late in the day I wouldn't bother.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by PugPower View Post
            ..... It is my understanding that optimizers or microinverters will minimize energy loss and prevent any damage due to shading.
            ENERGY
            Nope. The shaded panel has lost the power, it's gone forever.

DAMAGE
            Optimizer maybe it helps. depends on how many panels are shaded Microinverters, if a portion of panel is shaded, the entire inverter will likely drop offline.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Fordtrucksforever View Post
              IF that were the case then wouldnt clouds passing over do the same thing?
              Then entire panel is shaded evenly in the case of clouds (and night), shading usually refers to a portion of the panel experiencing shade while other parts are still subject to sunshine.

Comment

I am not really concerned about energy loss from that in this system, just wanted to make sure if there was a possibility of panel damage if certain cells experience shading over and over while others do not?, and if that does happen, does it happen fairly fast or take a long time, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
                  I am not really concerned about energy loss from that in this system, just wanted to make sure if there was a possibility of panel damage if certain cells experience shading over and over while others do not?, and if that does happen, does it happen fairly fast or take a long time, etc.
                  Shading on a specific panel may put some "work" on a blocking diode but they should be able to handle the stress without getting hurt.

Although I am talking from a textbook side and not first hand experience so others may post different information.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Shading on a specific panel may put some "work" on a blocking diode but they should be able to handle the stress without getting hurt.

Although I am talking from a textbook side and not first hand experience so others may post different information.
                    Agreed. Unless it is shaded for the whole day, there shouldn't be an issue. If debris gathers on a panel and stays there for a long period of time, it can cause some hot spots, but is relatively rare.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post

Agreed. Unless it is shaded for the whole day, there shouldn't be an issue. If debris gathers on a panel and stays there for a long period of time, it can cause some hot spots, but is relatively rare.

Thanks, should be no worries in my situation then.

Comment

Working...
                      X