Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 volt battery bank actually 56 volt

Hi all,

I have a 48 volt battery bank. It's a hybrid PV System and the battery bank is only used as a backup when utility drops out. 4 x 12V 150 Ah. After installation the battery bank constantly gives 56 volts.

Can this damage the battery bank?

Is it dangerous ?

Many thanks to all

Constantly? Day and night? What is the chemistry of your battery bank? Can you disconnect your inverter and let the batteries rest for a couple of hours and then measure voltage? Or turn off the power to put the system in backup mode and then measure the voltage.
    Last edited by Ampster; 02-13-2020, 11:37 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Bendesa1962 View Post
      Hi all,

I have a 48 volt battery bank. It's a hybrid PV System and the battery bank is only used as a backup when utility drops out. 4 x 12V 150 Ah. After installation the battery bank constantly gives 56 volts.

Can this damage the battery bank?

Is it dangerous ?

Many thanks to all
      That voltage may be a little high for a resting 48V system but it should come down a few volts which is typical of a battery.

It all comes down to what voltage range your inverter or loads can handle. If 55V is the limit then you could have a problem but 56V may be ok.

Comment

Since that battery bank is for backup there is no load on them. The open voltage will be that high especially if batteries are fairly new. My 48 volt bank is currently wired for 24 until another inverter gets here. When batteries are fully charged up without any load during sunlight hours stay at 28V. Batteries are now just over 7 years old and still show less than 2% sulfating. My controller shows 57.6 absorption and 55.2 float.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordtrucksforever View Post
          Since that battery bank is for backup there is no load on them. The open voltage will be that high especially if batteries are fairly new. My 48 volt bank is currently wired for 24 until another inverter gets here. When batteries are fully charged up without any load during sunlight hours stay at 28V. Batteries are now just over 7 years old and still show less than 2% sulfating. My controller shows 57.6 absorption and 55.2 float.
          My hybrid inverter has an overhead that can be as much as 300 Watts. That is why I suggested disconnecting the inverter but I think his concerns should be minimized by most of the above comments. Thanks for clarifying the voltage settings.
          Last edited by Ampster; 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

it sounds like that is the setting for a float charger, but might be a little high. In our AGM systems it's usually around 54-55 volts when on a float charger.

Comment

Working...
            X