Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • extrafu
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2016

Yes you can RDP without a SSH connection (I mentioned it previously) but *with* a VPN.

Also, have you programmed your AGS correctly so it starts the generator itself when the batteries are low (look at System Devices > AGS > Settings > Triggers). You always also need to factor in voltage sag with those settings.

Comment

• hammick
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by extrafu
      Yes you can RDP without a SSH connection (I mentioned it previously) but *with* a VPN.

Also, have you programmed your AGS correctly so it starts the generator itself when the batteries are low (look at System Devices > AGS > Settings > Triggers). You always also need to factor in voltage sag with those settings.
      Since my genset is installed in my garage and exhausted out an exterior wall through a thimble I don't want it starting on it's own. I'll be using an AGS wifi board that will install directly on the genset. The AGS board also has a two wire interface that can be connected to the Conext AGS or just a simple contact switch. So I'll be able to start/stop, monitor and configure the genset via wifi by logging in with Teamviewer. I will also configure the two wire interface to an Insteon I/O switch as a backup in case I cannot log into Teamviewer for any reason.

The guy who makes the wifi AGS board added a few custom features to the firmware for my specific application. I have the ability to set the amount of time the genset runs before it shuts off. So if I lose my connection for any reason the genset will shut itself down after the set amount of time. I will also have one of my Blink cameras looking at the genset so I can live view it periodically while it is running. I typically don't run the genset for more than 30 minutes at a time even in the winter. It's highly unlikely that I will ever have to remote start it during the summer or early fall when fire season may be in full swing.

PIC of the Wifi board main page attached:

IMG_2361.jpg

Attached Files
      Conext XW5548
      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by hammick
        ......The guy who makes the wifi AGS board added a few custom features to the firmware for my specific application.........
        I sure hope your "guy" really knows what he's doing with auto start generator tweaking. So many ways for this to go wrong and firmware to behave in unexpected ways. I really hate AGS systems because of the "set and forget" issues and the fire danger if there is ever a problem with the genset..

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• hammick
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
          I sure hope your "guy" really knows what he's doing with auto start generator tweaking.
          Now Mike there are some really smart people in addition to the solar experts on this forum. Nothing was tweaked. He designed, manufactured and tested his Wifi board specifically for the MEP-802A and MEP-803A generators. We wrote and tested the firmware himself. Then he tests these on a simulator for days and then tests each board in an 802A generator. Many people are using his boards and have been very happy with them. His operating and install manual is extremely detailed. The hardware used in the board is high quality.

I'm not a huge fan of AGS systems either. But I may have ruined a set of batteries and I can't have that happen again. I had him incorporate two specific safety backups into his firmware for my specific application. I do not consider my setup to be AGS as I will not have it setup to auto start. I will manually initiate the generator starts and will monitor live on a camera. If I lose internet there is a fail safe timer built in to shut off the generator. All the genset's switches remain in the off position so if the board freezes or restarts the genset shuts down.

If you have a spare 29 minutes you can see it in detail here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjL6mldAEM&t=1326s

Conext XW5548
          Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• hammick
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2015

Hey guys OP here. I wanted to give an update on my batteries. Due to COVID we have been spending a lot of time at our place. Over four months so far this year. Our batteries seem fine but I have noticed what appears to be rust in the negative post cells of all eight batteries (pic attached). I have taken a plastic chop stick and I can easily clear the brown particles off the metal. The electrolyte then becomes brown and cloudy.

So are my batteries shedding stratification or does this mean I am overcharging these batteries. As I stated on the first post of this thread my batteries went nearly flat and stayed in a partial state of charge for several weeks.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_3274.jpg
            Conext XW5548
            Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Working...