Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Powered Security Pole

Hey guys,

I need to put up a solar power pole that would have the following equipment:

- 2 cameras | 12v 802.3af | 8w-12w max draw with IR LEDs on (IRs will probably be on for 10 hours a day)
    - 1 ubiquiti nanobeam | 24v | 7.5w max draw
    - 1 ubiquiti SunMax SolarSwitch | 24v | 2w max draw
    - 2 x 24v passive to 802.3af converters

location gets 4.4 hours of peak sun

The panel I'm looking at: 100w | Vmp 17.8v | Imp 5.62 amps.

Will this system be enough if I have 2 x 100 ah batteries in series for 24v? Or will I need 2 100w panels?

Pretty new to this, so I'll keep researching and post back when/if I learn more.

Originally posted by mellowmedia View Post
    Hey guys,

I need to put up a solar power pole that would have the following equipment:

- 2 cameras | 12v 802.3af | 8w-12w max draw with IR LEDs on (IRs will probably be on for 10 hours a day)
    - 1 ubiquiti nanobeam | 24v | 7.5w max draw
    - 1 ubiquiti SunMax SolarSwitch | 24v | 2w max draw
    - 2 x 24v passive to 802.3af converters

location gets 4.4 hours of peak sun

The panel I'm looking at: 100w | Vmp 17.8v | Imp 5.62 amps.

Will this system be enough if I have 2 x 100 ah batteries in series for 24v? Or will I need 2 100w panels?

Pretty new to this, so I'll keep researching and post back when/if I learn more.
    With a 100Ah battery system you will need about 10amps of charging so you should get 2 100w panels.

A 24v 100Ah battery system should be able to deliver about 600wh a day (24V x 100Ah x 25% = 600Wh) which may not be enough for your loads for a day without sunshine.

Oh I almost forgot. A 24V battery system will need about 34volts of charging so that mean those 2 x100w panels will need to be wired in series to the CC.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

With a 100Ah battery system you will need about 10amps of charging so you should get 2 100w panels.

A 24v 100Ah battery system should be able to deliver about 600wh a day (24V x 100Ah x 25% = 600Wh) which may not be enough for your loads for a day without sunshine.

Oh I almost forgot. A 24V battery system will need about 34volts of charging so that mean those 2 x100w panels will need to be wired in series to the CC.
      Thanks for the reply. After doing some digging and little math I concur with you that even with the 100Ah it probably wouldn't be enough. At this point, it might actually be cheaper to run line power along the property fence line. We'll see. I'm looking at 3K just for solar equipment (2-4 panels,2-4 batteries, CC, box, wires), not including the poles and cameras.

Thanks again, seems to be quite an awesome community here.

Comment

I have installed a bunch of Ubiquiti gear. A portion in solar powered sites. My experience was that the UBNT gear that we checked actual power consumption was notably lower than the nameplate spec.

One end of a short PTP link was a bit over 4 watts. Being a short hop, we had the TX power turned way down. Others were closer to 5.5 watts.

It might be a good idea to connect all of the cameras and network gear and check actual consumption before committing to solar and battery capacity. Just a thought.....

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
          I have installed a bunch of Ubiquiti gear. A portion in solar powered sites. My experience was that the UBNT gear that we checked actual power consumption was notably lower than the nameplate spec.

One end of a short PTP link was a bit over 4 watts. Being a short hop, we had the TX power turned way down. Others were closer to 5.5 watts.

It might be a good idea to connect all of the cameras and network gear and check actual consumption before committing to solar and battery capacity. Just a thought.....
          No I definitely agree. I really only want to build out the solar for nominal/normal operation. I could care less about peak. I haven't used these particular cameras so I need to get a few in to test their actual draw.

Comment

If, in your endeavors, you should come across a method of monitoring battery voltage over the network without being a big drain on the battery or my wallet please share it with us.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X