Starting to piece together my off grid solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to piece together my off grid solar system

Hi, I’m so happy to be part of your community.

I just finished building a small cabin close to McKellar Ontario a couple of years ago and Im starting to piece together a solar system. We are only there on weekends from spring to fall and spend the occasional week there in August and September.

I was given 3 x 235 solar panels (volts: 29.8, amps: 7.9 each) and I purchased a xantrex freedom hf1000 inverter charger with built in transfer switch for ease of generator charging tie in when batteries are low and cloudy out.

I’m very new to solar and I would really appreciate your feedback. Here’s my thoughts so far:

run the 3x 235 panels in series
    system volts 90
    system amps 8
    -run 10 wag wire 40’ from panel to charge controller
    -use dc disconnect in between panels and charge controller

60 amp MPPT solar charge controller with battery temp sensor
    -4awg cable to battery bank 5-7 feet away with 60 amp fuse and disconnect
    - really need advice on which charge controller to buy

4 x 6V 210Ah lead acid or AGM batteries : 2 in series and then in parallel for a 12V system
    - total 420 AH

on opposite battery poles then the solar charger, using 4awg cable with 100amp fuse and disconnect to the xantrex hf1000 inverter charger which connects direct to my cabin distribution breaker panel.

we have very low watt hr requirements

9 cubic ft fridge using 140 watts
    lcd tv @90 watts a few hours a day
    satellite receiver at 25 watts
    total of 9 : 13 watt bulbs
    ceiling fan: 120 watts for a few hours a day
    And charging of phones here and there

Panels would be in direct sunlight

your thoughts would really be appreciated.

Should I go bigger (more panels and battery bank)?

Am I close? or out to lunch?

Comment

9 cubic ft fridge using 140 watts
      lcd tv @90 watts a few hours a day
      satellite receiver at 25 watts
      total of 9 : 13 watt bulbs
      ceiling fan: 120 watts for a few hours a day
      And charging of phones here and there
      So, I plugged this into a realistic spreadsheet and this is your modest consumption:

3x 235w = 705w derate 20% = 564 x 5hours = 2,820 watt hours max possible harvest in sunny summer day
      looks like increasing your panels 4x will cover it in long bright summer days.
      or reduce your loads a lot.
      Thing about the mini-fridges, they skimp on insulation, and they consume as much or more as a full size efficient fridge

CheapCamp.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

thank you so much for your reply

energy star has the fridge rated at 296 KWH annually which I’m assuming means 296000 / 365 days= 800 watts daily. I know this fridge was rated by energy star as a top performer.

Regardless, it looks like I need a larger array. I will most likely start with the system as is and leave room to add panels and batteries when I have a few extra bucks.

I'm also looking for info on how to size circuit breakers and where to put them along with DC breakers.

i saw another reply but it’s no longer there and it was asking why 12 V and not 24V.

my xantrex inverter charger is 12 Volts and it’s less expensive to set up a 12V bank but I definitely open to suggestions

your help is really appreciated

john

Comment

Pic of my place, the panels would be installed on the roof lakeside. I should have sun exposure all day long
          Attached Files

Comment

1 more
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jjjooohhhnnn View Post
              i saw another reply but it’s no longer there and it was asking why 12 V and not 24V.
              my xantrex inverter charger is 12 Volts and it’s less expensive to set up a 12V bank but I definitely open to suggestions

john
              I gave a quick answer but I thought Mike covered it better, and I also saw that your loads would be far too much for the proposed system, The reason for the 24V suggestion was that it would help in a couple of ways. One is that it would have allowed you to put all of the batteries you mentioned in series which is better for longevity in cycle (solar) service. The second is that it would cut the charge current and inverter battery current in half allowing for smaller wire (less amperage). But I saw that the loads you mentioned would far exceed the panel/battery combo and figured you'd be re-sizing the whole thing anyway. By the way the battery capacity needs to be about four or five times the average daily watt hour usage, so with the loads you have proposed this would be a mighty big system. Sunking put up a sticky on this very topic, let me see if I can find it. By the way welcome and glad you've joined the forum.

Edit: I couldn't find the post I was looking for, but here is something that might help with battery sizing:
              https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...s-why-tutorial

Last edited by sdold; 01-28-2020, 01:14 AM.

Comment

I don't know much but what I do know is you don't have enough solar or battery, you need to decrease your AC reliance for running stuff especially at 12V and jump to 24v. What you have is good for RV or part of the year summer time only cabin with running generator a lot. Not trying to bust your bubble but you're out to lunch trying to live on that unless it's for a starter as you learn which is great. Lean towards buying pieces over time for system that will work.and when you got all the pieces build it and switch the flip.Takes time to learn what you can live without and learn how this functions during certain times of the year. Mike laid the numbers out that you will see will eat the system up.
                1.2 kWh solar 10.56 kWh battery @ 24v in a RV

Comment

As your system grows larger, you need to increase the voltage. you can only hang so many 12V batteries in parallel before the required cabling becomes so thick and heavy, you find yourself spending hundreds of dollars in extra charge controllers (rated by amps, not volts. a 60A controller handles 720w, but at 48V, manages 2880 watts.

A 12vdc system, relying on only 12V components, is only acceptable for the very smallest hovel or RV. When running any sort of power, line losses start eating into your budget,

The other mistake made is, ignoring the AC Power Factor. Anything using simple resistance, has an ideal PF. Wind a coil, use a capacitor or transformer, and the power factor declines. Many "efficient" LED lights, have a driver circuit that has poor Power Factor. PF doesn't really increase watts consumed or heat generated, but it does place extra demands on the Power source, generator or inverter.
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 01-28-2020, 02:55 AM.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies, this forum is great!!!

just to be clear, my cabin is only a week end cabin with the odd week spent there in the summer. We don’t use it over the winter months. Also I don’t mind running the genny a few hours when needed.

my plan was to start smaller and build up over the years. I still have a bunch to do/spend at the cottage plus maintain my family at home. So buying a self sustaining system all at once isn’t realistic for me.

I need help with selecting a charge controller and sizing circuit breakers & disconnects and where to put them.

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies, this forum is great!!!

just to be clear, my cabin is only a week end cabin with the odd week spent there in the summer. We don’t use it over the winter months. Also I don’t mind running the genny a few hours when needed.

my plan was to start smaller and build up over the years. I still have a bunch to do/spend at the cottage plus maintain my family at home. So buying a self sustaining system all at once isn’t realistic for me.

I need help with selecting a charge controller and sizing circuit breakers & disconnects and where to put them.

So here is the issue with "building up" a solar/battery system. More than likely if you start with a small system you will end up throwing away the charger, inverter and batteries because they are too small for the expansion. You end up starting all over again which can be a waste of money.

Another option would be to get a larger charger even if you don't have enough panel wattage to use it's full output. But you still have to "balance" the panel wattage and battery Ah rating or you kill off your batteries quickly by over or under charging them. Also a large inverter will use more batteries due to it's lower efficiency so it is not a good reason to go with an inverter bigger than what your battery system can provide.

The problem with a system that is very small and cheap is that you will kill off your batteries by over discharging them. So unless you only connect enough loads to use 25% discharge of your batteries each night your system fails.

Increasing your system can be done but you need to plan how much load you can connect to it and how much money you want to waste going from small equipment to larger. The same thinking needs to go with your panel wattage. Instead of buying 100watt panels it would be cheaper to get 200watt panel because of the initial $/watt cost.

Comment

Thinking the system will recharge in the 5 days you are gone, is incorrect. The first 2 days, the batteries will be sulfating and loosing capacity, and only reaching full charge by Thursday, and then you kick the loads on and start the cycle all over again. Batteries will last the summer, and then with the shorter days in fall, it all conks out.

We see this happen every fall here.

Comment

john
                          As others have mentioned there are a lot of advantages to going with 24v over 12v. IMO if you already need another inverter/charger I would just go with a 48v system. If cost is an issue I think 8 6v GC2s would be cheaper and better than 4 6v AGM batteries. But at a minimum I would strongly recommend 24v over 12v especially if you already need the battery capacity.

Batteries also last significantly longer if you use less of their rated capacity.

Comment

Ok.....questions..... keep in mind, I’m not rich. Just looking for enough to keep my system healthy.

how many watts of solar should I shoot for knowing my electrical needs?
                            8 x 6V GC2 in 24V enough?
                            can I use a 24V to 12v dc converter for my charger and if so what size would I need?

I really appreciate all the help, you people are fantastic!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jjjooohhhnnn;n410755]Ok.....questions..... keep in mind, I’m not rich. Just looking for enough to keep my system healthy.

how many watts of solar should I shoot for knowing my electrical needs?[ /QUOTE]

From my est from your #'s, you need to harvest 7,000 watt hours the days you use power. 5kw would be the absolute minimum, unless you hack away severely at your loads.

for 5Kw :
                              On a clear winter day, assume 3 hours, needing 2,000 w of well aimed solar
                              On a clear summer day, assume 5 hours needing 1,200 w of " " "

8 x 6V GC2 in 24V enough?
                              At that, I'd say 8 * 6 = 48V system. 48V @ 200 ah = 9600 wh total, 4800 wh daily draw down. Close enough to 5kwh. Since you are weekends only, it's OK to pull batteries below 50% since you will calendar time out in 3 years before you wear them out.

You will need a 48V golf cart charger to run from your generator. 1400w of charger w/ PF of .7 needs a 2kw generator - that's a constant draw of 2kw for at least 2 hours, so a 3kw cont rated generator would work OK. Then the solar can top it off the next day after you leave.

can I use a 24V to 12v dc converter for my charger and if so what size would I need?
                              There is no reliable way to convert 12V @ 20A for up sizing an existing charger.
                              You need a new charger, a 45A MPPT charge controller and a new inverter, inverter rated at 2,000 watt cont, if you want to reliably start the fridge if you have any other loads running.

For future up-sizing, you can then simply increase the battery bank size, from 8, GC2 batteries (200ah) to 8, L-16 (400ah) (Floor Sweeper batteries) and add another 1500w or so of solar & another 45A MPPT charge controller.

If you need a silent controller , the fanless Morningstar MPPT 60 is a good one, and has a built in web server for monitoring. If you don't care about daytime fan noise, the Classic 150 is a good controller with built in ethernet too.

inverter/charger for 48v exist, when shopping pay attention to system standby losses

Comment

Working...
                              X