Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Rabbit
    • Dec 2019

Newbie has Questions.

I live in the Mojave desert, we just put in a well for drinking water.

General Info on our place:
    We are hooked up to SCE as our yearly use is about 15000kw and a system to go off the grid is just too much money our house is 610 sqft and we are all electric.

The house has 2 AC's a 10k and a 14k BTU which keep it at 74 even on the 120 degree days.

In a 150 sqft shed outback we have a shirt business which we use a 10k BTU AC and a 1500 watt heat press at the same time in the summer, the shed stay about 74 during the summer.

Had a well drilled and purchased a RPS 800V solar pump to pump into a 3000 gallon tank.

I also purchase day 800gpd reverse osmosis water system that will pump into a 3000 tank that supplies the house, our water usage is about 150 gpd in the house.

The RO needs about one gallon a minute @ 50psi pressure water to the feed the unit a 60 gallon pressure tank ( reducing the cycling of the pressure supply pump) will supply the water from the well holding tank via a Burcam booster pump 3/4 hp.

RO pressure pump to force the water thru the filters is also a 3/4 hp pump.

All the systems are 120 volts.

For the RO and Burcam pump I have 24 FS-387 85 watt 48 volt panels that I am ground mounting.

I have not gotten my charge controller or inverter yet these are going to be purchased shortly after I figure out the best way to set up my system.

Can I run my RO and Burcam pump directly from the charge controller without a battery bank if I put them on a timer that came on at 10am and went off at 3pm allow panels to be producing full power when the RO and Burcam come on line.

The RPS 800v Uses 8 100watt 12v panels.

If I need a battery bank I plan on using 8 Trojan T-105 6 Volt battery bank.

Can I hook up both the 24 85watts and the 8 100 watts to the same bank?

If I use a battery bank I am thinking of using 2 24 volt inverters one for the RO and one for the Burcam that way if one falls I still am making power in case I need power to run an AC in the house.

Any comments or suggestion on my what I am trying to do?
    Thanks
    Jack
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello Jack and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

First off you really can't run a load directly from a Charge Controller because it is a charger first and foremost and needs batteries to work.

My question is if you already have a grid connection why would you even think about using a solar/battery system to run your loads. Unless you live on a granite rock it will always be cheaper to run an underground wire to remote load including a pump.

If you really want to use that RPS 800 to pump water then you should be able to get away with just using your panels without a battery.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 12-29-2019, 02:44 PM. Reason: amended comment based on further research into the RPS system

Comment

• Jack Rabbit
      • Dec 2019

The RPS 800v will run directly from the panels.
      That is why I purchased it.

I was hoping that I could also run the two pump of solar only like the RPS 800v

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jack Rabbit
        The RPS 800v will run directly from the panels.
        That is why I purchased it.

I was hoping that I could also run the two pump of solar only like the RPS 800v
        I made a mistake in my first post. You should be able to run an RPS pump with the controller & panels supplied in the kit. If you have a second pump then you should get a second power source. Either another RPS system or use a grid powered pump.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Since you are on grid, I suppose your objective is to save $. The best way to do that is avoid batteries
          as much as possible, completely if you can get a favorable net metering agreement with your PoCo.
          My net metering does not pay me, they just charge me the usual rate at the end of the month if I needed
          more KWH than I could generate. That amount is usually zero.

Your best deal on panels is the generic 250 to 300 watt grid tie type, smaller are much more expensive
          per watt. If the above does not kill your electric bill, you could try to run as many heavy loads as
          possible directly from panels, when you have sun. Beside the pumps, there are mini split air conditioners
          which have direct solar panel input, backed up by grid power. The high pressure variable speed inverter
          driven compressor types might use only half the energy of your older equipment, do check it out. Same
          SEER 30s something heat pumps can supply heat very economically if you need it, that is what is
          happening here.

Finally, you can extend the length of your solar energy day if that helps, by adding panels favoring the
          rising and setting sun. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• Jack Rabbit
            • Dec 2019

I have 24 85 watt 48 volt panels this is in addition to the 8 100watt 12 volt panels that came with the RPS 800v

I want my water system to be independent of the house SCE grid power. Not interested in any net metering.

All of the items have are brand new.

Yes I would like to run them directly from the panels, how is this done?

That question is why I am am here.

High pressure variable speed inverter? Where do I find info on these?

Thanks
            Jack

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

I have 24 85 watt 48 volt panels this is in addition to the 8 100watt 12 volt panels that came with the RPS 800v

I want my water system to be independent of the house SCE grid power. Not interested in any net metering.

Thanks Jack

If you take a look at Yoou Tuube and search solar mini split heat pump or solar mini split
              air conditioning, you will find plenty of examples. From there check out the field, look for
              units that cover your temp range, and have high efficiency. Mine are 33 SEER, using
              half or less than what you probably have, great on net metering. Most likely the solar
              powered units will not be that good, and of course will use line backup power nights.
              Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

All of the items have are brand new.

That question is why I am am here.

Thanks
                Jack
                That Burcam booster pump is probably rated 3/4 hp and 120V powered. So you will need an inverter that is rated big enough to handle it's starting amp /watt draw. That is probably about 1500watts and is a pure sine wave type.

You have about 2000watts of panels which should be used to charge a 48V battery system. That battery system should be rated about 400Ah and your CC should be at least a 40A output for a 48V battery system.

All the wiring should be rated for the amps they will see along with over-current devices sized to protect the wires.

I am not sure what those 85w panels cost you but you will chew up a lot more to purchase the charger, inverter and batteries. Which is why I question your decision to go solar/battery to run that pump instead of using grid power. But if that is what you want then enjoy.

Comment

• Jack Rabbit
                  • Dec 2019

Hi I paid $300 for the 24 FS-387 panels still in the shipping carton.

I figured I would need a 48 2000 watt inverter as the panels will put out about 2000 watts.

RO pump is 10.8 trating and 5.4 running amps 120v. it will be in continuous running make water for about 5-6 hours a day.

The Burcam which has the same draw will turn on and off filling the 60 gallon pressure tank running about 2-3 minutes each time.

I can sett the timers so that the Burcam turns on fist and pressurize's the tank the the RO timer kicks in and then RO motor starts up.

Can I wire the 48 volt panels thru a fuse up to the inverter and pull the 120volt power out?

The panels put out 61 volts in the sun mid day.

Thanks
                  Jack

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Hi I paid $300 for the 24 FS-387 panels still in the shipping carton.

I figured I would need a 48 2000 watt inverter as the panels will put out about 2000 watts.

RO pump is 10.8 trating and 5.4 running amps 120v. it will be in continuous running make water for about 5-6 hours a day.

The Burcam which has the same draw will turn on and off filling the 60 gallon pressure tank running about 2-3 minutes each time.

I can sett the timers so that the Burcam turns on fist and pressurize's the tank the the RO timer kicks in and then RO motor starts up.

Can I wire the 48 volt panels thru a fuse up to the inverter and pull the 120volt power out?

The panels put out 61 volts in the sun mid day.

Thanks
                    Jack

Unfortunately no. You will have to use batteries for the inverter to provide a constant 120V source. That is the undersirable part of using solar DC voltage panels and an AC voltage load. The inverter has to have a constant source which the solar panels can't provide.

Now that RPS DC pump can be powered almost directly from the panels. You can actually run a number of DC motors directly from panels. I have a 10w panel that runs a small vent fan. But AC loads need a constant power source which is usually a battery system feeding an inverter.

Comment

• Jack Rabbit
                      • Dec 2019

Ok Thanks I figured I may need a stable voltage to run the inverter.
                      Thanks
                      Jack

Comment

Working...