X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
    The Tigo TS4-O optimizer works with most off the shelf inverters and charge controllers.
    Well, there it is. i learned something too.

Leave a comment:

• jflorey2
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    All the optimizers I've seen, work only with special Grid Tie inverters. I know of no optimizers that work with MPPT charge controllers.
    The Tigo TS4-O optimizer works with most off the shelf inverters and charge controllers.

Leave a comment:

• Ninety-9 SE-L
    replied
    Just throwing this out there:
    https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...ers-compatible

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    All the optimizers I've seen, work only with special Grid Tie inverters. I know of no optimizers that work with MPPT charge controllers. Shade Kills.

Half of one cell on a panel shaded, will impact about a third of that panels production. If your panels are wired in series, it will impact the entire string, depending on how the panels are built with internal bypass diodes (which allow a panel to work with reduced performance instead of Zero)

You CANNOT fix Shaded Panels. You cannot Correct shaded panels. In 10 years (or less), you will be replacing fried shaded panels. Bypass diodes are not long term fixes, they are there to allow a panel to work if debris shades a portion, and then you clean the debris off. Continual bypass operation eventually fries the diode.

You can somewhat mitigate the losses, but you will loose about 1/3 of the typical panel output if it is built with the typical bypass diodes.

installing panels in shade, is like sitting in your bedroom closet, with suntan oil on. You ain't getting a tan.

Leave a comment:

• Ninety-9 SE-L
    replied
    Thanks, could you elaborate on why this is? My understanding is that a single MPPT will provide a good I-V curve, but it still treats the entire system as a whole, which means one panel can screw up the entire harvest. Per-module MPPT supposedly will help keep the current/voltage up, even if 1 panel is in a shadow.

Also, what do you mean about the inverter? You mean a matching charge controller? My inverter will not be connected to the Charge Controller, except possibly, I will set up a relay so the Charge controller can shut down the inverter when the batteries go under a certain voltage.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Optimizers will not improve harvest without a matching inverter, so for a battery system you need to get your chainsaw out, or relocate the panels. The important part of the solar harvest is between 10am and 2 pm, earlier or later, and the thicker atmosphere soup and wrong solar angle, have already degraded the harvest.

Leave a comment:

• Ninety-9 SE-L
    started a topic MPPT Charger plus Optimizers

MPPT Charger plus Optimizers

My first on-topic post. I'm really wanting to do a hybrid system in my home, but my wife and I are planning to move, next year, for a bigger house. I don't really want to throw money into something that I'll never be able to fully use. Sucks because the federal tax credit will run out before we finally move.

To get my feet wet, I have a 16' enclosed trailer that I use as a mobile workshop and storage, good size for an off-grid project. I only really need power for lights, a dehumidifier, and charging my Ryobi batteries. The dehumidifier runs about 600-700W, intermittently.

I decided on a 24V system with (6) 160W panels, (2) 100Ah AGM batteries in series. The 6 panels should top out at 40A, so I figured the EPEVER Tracer 4215BN would be a good MPPT charge controller. A 1500W inverter will power my lights and equipment. (Hopefully all the numbers add up properly).

After purchasing the EPEVER MPPT controller, I realized that I do have some really large oaks nearby that will cast shadows in the morning and evening, I was considering getting some panel optimizers, like solar-edge on each panel, but I'm not sure if they can be combined with my charge controller.

Any advice?
Working...
X